80MPH on motorways?

If the railways are useless for freight, and are universally panned when it comes to passengers, here's a tongue-in-cheek suggestion:
railway lines tend to go in relatively-direct routes between major centres. When not sack all the trains off, rip up the tracks, tarmac them all, and make them dedicated HGV routes?
Although the drivers would have to duck when they went under bridges and through tunnels, I suspect :D

Sponsored Links
Road haulage in britain is down to a fine art, take TNT, if you post a parcle from say Bristol to Exeter, it is collected in the daytime taken back to the local depot, loaded onto an artic, taken to Tamworth, put on one of about 200 loading bays where it is emtied onto a big conveveyor belt then taken off and loaded in the relevant trailer, when that trailer is full it's taken back to the local depot in Exeter, then delivered that day. This is very cost effective and saves wagons criss crossing all over the place.
Talking without any real knowledge of logistics here :oops: , the question I have is whether it really is necessary to deliver the package the next day or whether (if it were left a few days later say) a fuller container on a "slower" route would have sufficed? Which is sort of my original point.

There are if memory serves me, about 7 trailers from Bristol, 5 from Exeter and 1 from Bodmin, all the trailers are more or less full.

Lowering the speed limit (at least at busy times), can reduce congestion, and save on CO2 emissions.

I have been flashed and pointed by police to move to the left lanes while doing 70 MPH. (I was doing it to P Off the guy behind me)

But the point is, if 70 is the top speed. Then obviously no one could have overtaken me without breaking the law. It's a flawed system.

Sponsored Links
Then what about 50?
50 is fine IMHO - if you keep to the left lane :rolleyes: . Mopeds aren`t allowed on M ways , ergo 30mph is too slow , and so is 40 ;)

The trouble would be that all the HGVs would have to change lane to overtake you at low speed and clog the other lane.

I know a guy who bought a new Kia Rio recently which Kia claimed could do 88 to the gallon. He thought he'd try to achieve this by driving at a constant speed on the motorway until he found the most fuel effecient speed and then see how many miles he could get out of it. Whilst driving at 50mph on the motorway he got pulled by the police. He didn't get a ticket for it, but they asked him to explain why he was driving so slowly, told him how dangerous it could be driving that way on the motorway and 'advised' him not to try it again. (he got 91MPG out of it though!)

As for increasing to 80mph, I'm not sure there's a need any more. Recently, it seems to me that everyone seems to have slowed down anyway. I used to drive at around 75mph when on the motorway and would have 100s of cars pass me travelling faster. I now tend to drive a little slower - somewhere between 65 and 70mph and yet I find less people passing me. Obviously you stil get the odd BMW, Porsche or Merc doing 90+mph. but generallly people seem to be driving slower. (although i don't use motorways too much, so maybe i just happen to travel on them when people are in less of a rush...?)

[. Whilst driving at 50mph on the motorway he got pulled by the police. He didn't get a ticket for it, but they asked him to explain why he was driving so slowly, told him how dangerous it could be driving that way on the motorway and 'advised' him not to try it again. (he got 91MPG out of it though!)

..?)
I`d love that - I`d wind the tossers up and force them to take me to court - that would settle it once and for all - Is there a min . speed in Law :?: :mrgreen: I`ve got plenty of time in retirement to **** off the system - and I`d get legal aid :LOL:

I have been flashed and pointed by police to move to the left lanes while doing 70 MPH. (I was doing it to P Off the guy behind me)

But the point is, if 70 is the top speed. Then obviously no one could have overtaken me without breaking the law. It's a flawed system.

How did you decide you were doing 70MPH?

How did you decide you were doing 70MPH?

knob :rolleyes:

You see this is what really pings me off about driving.

Someone you do not know and have never met suddenly decides they are going to take negative action against you...why? and what a place to play silly games , on a Motorway!!

I have actually given up indicating that I am moving from a right hand lane into a left hand lane.

I have discovered that whenever I want to move from a right hand lane into a left hand lane even if there is plenty of space as soon as I indicate my intentions the car in the left lane will invariably then suddenly accelerate alongside me preventing me from moving accross.

Now I simply don't bother indicating but just pull in.

Why do people like Sall2009 etc play silly games on the road?

Is it the car driven by the other person.
If it's cheaper than yours do you have 'road rights' over them?

If it's a more expensive car are you allowed to 'fight for the common people'?

Just drive with manners and stop playing games that have probably led to the 'mysterious mexican wave' of stop start congestion for no reason on the M way....

I agree with streaker, there is an attitude with certain drivers soon as they know you want to get infront of them they speed up, its like WTF!!! if your gonna speed up why weren't you driving at that speed anyway

Me personally drive in Lane 3 for 95% of my journey only due to congestion mind, why would I hop lanes every 100 yards that's just more work for me and more observation for my brain to comprehend with, simply 1 lane look ahead job done, occasionally move in to Lane 2 for the odd M3, MercAVG etc....then back into lane 3

Don't care if its not in the highway code it works for me, and I never ever hold anyone up, if some idiot is behind me and I can move over then I do, otherwise its some other idiot in my way and am trying to over/under take to get past

My 2p worth, 80MPH on Mway - bring it on, then I can do 90 but wait isnt that thee very reason why they wont change it, go figure!!

Yeah the word you were looking for is JIT (Just in Time). The benefits of JIT are:

1) Low inventory
2) Low wastage
3) High quality production
4) High customer responsiveness

JIT relies on the road haulage companies or carriers to deliver the goods as and when the companies need them. However it can be fairly risky as if the goods are not delivered when they are needed a lot of money can be lost as appose to being saved by being efficient.

Other than "fresh" produce (which could be transported in refrigerated train containers), there is no need to hurtle everything to everywhere overnight.

I think that most supermarkets and whatever manufacturing we have left now operate on a last minute supply basis. It saves them from having to tie too much money up in stock. There's a name for it which escapes me at the moment.
Just in time?

Wotan

See thats what you should have written because it was another poster who admitted deliberately playing silly games on the roads and deliberately trying to block someone on the motorway.

Yes I called that poster a knob for his actions.
You presumably would agree as for the not indicating.

I always indicate to tuen left or right or overtake or on roundabouts or anywhere you need to inform other road users what you are doing.

However experience has taught me when I am in an outside or middle lane and I want to change to the left lane that putting on my indicator usually results in the car on the inside lane behind me suddenly accelerating into the gap I was about to pull into.

I have found that it is better not to indicate but if the gap is sizable and you can move into it without causing any problems then it is better to pull in without indicating.

I have never had anyone object to that action , no horns blared no jesticulating etc etc.

For whatever reason indicating simply makes people close the gap rather than give you space.

Why change what has been written?
Fine I made an error about the holding traffic up, was it really worth your pathetic variations?
NOT indicating but pulling in is what caused the knock on effect. I have probably done more motorway driving and riding than you but how do we prove it apart from telling how many miles we have done and as this is the internet and you have already shown you alter things to suit your not going to be believed.

Again not indicating is dire, an offence and carries a undue care and attention charge, so carry on. Hopefully you will be caught banned and heavily fined.

As for baiting your doing rather well at this. Yet you still feel breaking traffic law is fine as long as YOU think the gap is suitable. I dare say you have not looked back to see the annoyance nor possible accidents you have probably caused as you do not care.
Next you will be telling us your a racing driver and know more than others.

And if you understood the language I did not call you a name I suggested you read again what you had posted.

Carry on altering what I say if you wish, it is another rod for your back. And will not be worth even acknowledging never mind replying to.

Sponsored Links
Back