84 LED Bulbs so Expensive at £350!

Transformers/SMPS almost always come out through the downlight hole, with the model you have and the fact you previously had halogen lamps in the fittings, there's bound to be one transformer per lamp, so it should be a breeze to remove the transformer.

I fitted it my self and it is a 0-150w SMPS what is feeding the 3 lamps over the bath, it is screwed down to one of the joists IIRC.

Sponsored Links
I don't follow why there is bound to be one supply per lamp. A 105VA supply can feed 2, a 150VA supply can feed 3 and this is often done.

Beaten to it by the OP.

I don't follow why there is bound to be one supply per lamp. A 105VA supply can feed 2, a 150VA supply can feed 3 and this is often done.

Beaten to it by the OP.
proberly because at the time iggifer posted the OP had posted a link that he had 50 watt units

Sponsored Links
Furthermore, I think you'd probably find you want IPX4 fittings, and personally I wouldn't dream of having non IP fittings directly above a shower or not. You're inviting steam and moisture into both the void/loft and now into the LED lamp. And there are no special requirements for zone 2 anyway.
Remember that the IP rating only applies to the access to the electrical components. There is no guarantee that an IPx4 light won't have paths through it which don't provide access to the electrical bits. As a (ridiculously) extreme example to illustrate the point, I could make and sell¹ a light like this:

screenshot_207.jpg

which requires a 1m diameter hole to be cut in the ceiling. It would be IP65, but it would still create a path through the ceiling for warm moist air to get into the loft.

¹ "offer for sale" would be more accurate - I doubt I would actually sell any...

and personally I wouldn't dream of having non IP fittings directly above a shower or not

All the fitting in the downstairs bathroom are all ready IP 65 rated. I just meant that I would have to replace them with the mains equivalent what likely cost more that the non IP rated ones.

proberly because at the time iggifer posted the OP had posted a link that he had 50 watt units

Main bathroom has 1 x 50w SWPS for the light above the shower and 1 x 150w SMPS for the remaining 3 lights in the bathroom that are above the bath. On-suite upstairs has 3 x 50w SWPS for 3 lights.

As to electronic transformers it would seem yours are suitable, also the lamp clearly states AC so that is also OK. As to IP rating there is nothing on the lamp which gives any IP rating. The fitting may be IP65 with a MR16 halogen but with a LED it may not be.

As to IP rating there is nothing on the lamp which gives any IP rating. The fitting may be IP65 with a MR16 halogen but with a LED it may not be.

Why would it matter when then the LED lamps are inside a IP65 enclosure o_O:?:

Main bathroom is 1.6M wide by 2.8M long + a ressesed 70cm x 100cm shower; plus my bedroom on-suite what is 1.8M wide by 3.2M long has got 5 of these. (Yes the Daylight version as my on-suite has no window.)

Seems like an excessive number of lights for rooms those sizes.

I wonder if the problem is that they aren't actually much good at the job of lighting up rooms.

and personally I wouldn't dream of having non IP fittings directly above a shower or not

All the fitting in the downstairs bathroom are all ready IP 65 rated. I just meant that I would have to replace them with the mains equivalent what likely cost more that the non IP rated ones.

Main bathroom has 1 x 50w SWPS for the light above the shower and 1 x 150w SMPS for the remaining 3 lights in the bathroom that are above the bath. On-suite upstairs has 3 x 50w SWPS for 3 lights.

You do realise that the majority of the time, you don't need to replace the entire fitting, you can just swap the GU5.3 holder for a GU10 holder?

There are a few cases where the bigger landholder doesn't fit, but I've only seen that in adjustable/eyeball type fittings and low clearance models. So it'd cost you £1ish per fitting

Seems like an excessive number of lights for rooms those sizes.

I wonder if the problem is that they aren't actually much good at the job of lighting up rooms.

Oh no...:cry::rolleyes:...not this again; I like my rooms well lit and spot lights IMO are a good way to light a room. I know you think spot lights are a inefficient light source BAS, but I beg to disagree - after all I have 17 of them in my kitchen. 2.4W of lighting per M² is good in my opinion.

You do realise that the majority of the time, you don't need to replace the entire fitting, you can just swap the GU5.3 holder for a GU10 holder?

Remember that I can't easily get access to the 230v mains due to floorboards and stud walls, etc...

Remember that I can't easily get access to the 230v mains due to floorboards and stud walls, etc...
I realise this but you're going to encounter the same issue if your SMPS fails and you then lose 3/4 of your bathroom lights....

And I don't really see what stud walls has to do with lifting floorboards. If the board goes under the stud wall, you just cut it on a joist line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back