8mb bb

B

breezer

bt have just announced you can get up to 8mb bb at no extra cost (assuming you have bt bb)

just thought i would mention it.

bet it makes all those people who went to bulldog sick

Sponsored Links
For me, there is no speed in this universe that would compensate for the misery of paying for the appalling service from BT (retail). They really are the sh*ttest ISP in the whole of the kingdom.

breezer said:
bt have just announced you can get up to 8mb bb at no extra cost (assuming you have bt bb)
I don't think it applies only to BT customers - simply the fact that you must have a BT line - so anyone with Pipex / Demon / Plusnet etc. can also upgrade.

Homer

Sponsored Links
Yeh and the reason bt are offering up to 8mb speed is there is a broadband price war going on and I bet bt are hemorrhageing customers to talk talk who are offering up to 6mb speed with a monthly usage of a massive 40 gig all free providing you sign up to their talk three package of free local/national and international calls to 26 countries 24/7 for £20.99 a month after a one off connection payment of £29.99.Bt will only offer up to 8mb providing you sign a new 12 month contract with them.Maybe a case of them having to try to plug a dam with their finger.Heres one bt customer who will not be tempted to tie himself up for another year at £17.99 for broadband only.

@BT Site
Up to 8Mb download speeds. Up to 8Mb speed is subject to various factors including local availability, distance from exchange and line test. If your line won't support up to 8Mb, we'll offer the best speed available on your line. Conditions apply.

Basically, this is the same thing as speedbooster in the states..
We have regular access on broadband at 8mb, but they have signed a deal where the modem will break fcc regulations at hours of low service(they callit SpeedBOOSTER here)....other times such as midnight....

I have yet to see this speedbooster in action.....

shdwsclan, i dont think the 2 are related. BT are saying not all UK phone lines will support 8Mb transfer speeds - the infrastructure in certain places is simply too old and degraded, many homes still being fed by a simple piece of glorified bellwire connected to outdated exchanges.

And, of course, some people live too far from exchanges to support the high speeds. I am on 1Mb, but my router says my line is capable of 5.2Mb to the exchange, so i cannot have 8Mb . . . yet. I am aware BT is trying to upgrade a lot of equipment to offer 8Mb to everyone.

Your service sounds like standard 8Mb, with higher speeds at times of low demand, such as 2am etc.

Well, somewhat.....
My access is is actually around 8mbits 24/7.
Speedbooster is supposed to raise the cieling to 16mbits.

Here is a link.
http://www.comcast.com/powerboost/

My guess its packetshaping and new switching software on the cable routers[i am using the term correctly, cable routers are $12000 a piece...not to be confused with a cable modem + broadband router]

The sad thing is, the bandwidth backyard supports so much more. The equipment is shiny and new.....
I uncapped my modem to test. Best benchmark was 150mbits down and 100 mbits up. Stable benchmark was was ~125mbits down and 75 mbits up.
This is mbits, not kbits....
This is docsis 2.0

DSl is about half the benchmarks, from a friend that has SBC Yahoo.
We only do this intermittenly and for short periods of time.
In the US, it is illegal to uncap a modem....some fcc law of stealing bandwidth....and not being liscensed to take in that much bandwidth....but the system supports it, and there was no difference to the other customers....I checked against my capped cable friends....

Its a serious crime when you uncap your modem for some reason....if your caught, the feds come and take all your computer hardware....

Comcast confirmed it a few months ago when they announced they will be uncapping their docsis 2.0 service when transitioning to docsis 3.0.

Were not behind asia, FIOS is being deployed in major cities and is only $42.95 versus $199 in asia[korea & japan] and our uncapped version still faster....they are just illegal in the US.....
For some reason you need an fcc bandwidth liscense.
There is a real problem with HDTV over local air if your read into it....

Unfortunately, i live in the burbs and have to wait tirelessly for any new tech...
Its pretty sad when you have friends that have 10 times the bandwidth for the same price.....and they only live 20 minutes from you....

Its just the "MAN" trying to keep you down.
In japan, they are already running uncapped internet since their ISPs are owned by the japanese govt and they dont respect the FCC.
Their DSL is still slower than american, since ours can pull 75kbits and their topping out at 45kbits....and thats recently with yahoo bb....

Im not sure if the UK has a similar "MAN" keeping the internet down....best way to check is to reflash your modem and run a speed test....

Another funny story while im babbling off topic.....
My college friend lives in New Jersey, and he barely get 1 mbit cause hes in a rural area.... He uncapped for and tested at a max of 45 mbits down stream....

Sponsored Links
Back