9.5KW Shower - installer says 6mm T+E with 40Amp RCD is OK

Sponsored Links
You'd think I've been rattling round this place for long enough by now, wouldn't you? :LOL:

spank2.gif

Regarding quoted price.....

Is a 9.5 shower supplied and fitted for £190 a "suspiciously good" price then or a bargain by a local tradesman y'think?

Whats the ballpark Cost then for a job like this?

Thanks Chaps.

Sponsored Links
Costs will vary considerably depending on what shower is being installed, and how long the circuit is, how difficult to install etc.

However £190 for a new circuit and a shower is certainly very low.

Using the cheapest components from Screwfix as an example:
Triton Enlight shower £69 (in the clearance section)
15 metres of 6mm cable £18 (based on roll of 50m for £60)
Volex 2 way unit with RCD & MCB £31
Service block £8.
Short tails and piece of 16mm earth wire £4
Short piece of water pipe, pipe connectors, cable clips, screws and so on - say another £10

Total £140

Your price of £190 for everything only leaves £50, which has to cover the labour and other operating costs. Also assumes that no other work is required at all.

Myself, I would install 10 milli, fed via a 30mA RCD protected 50A breaker.
Personally I would use a 45A RCBO...
2. RCD protected breaker or RCBO to 45A
A 9.5kW shower unit will draw 40A (maximum, in the winter), so the correct breaker rating is 40A.

The Guy IS giving me a good quote
No he isn't - his price is far too low for someone competent doing a thorough and safe job using good quality materials.

I want to give him my Business
He can't possibly run a long-term business on this level of profit, so his warranty will be worthless. I would ditch him purely on that basis.

However why not have a 10.5kW shower fitted now?
It isn't always a good idea to fit a 10.5kW shower.

...a higher power model will have a better rate of flow at any given temperature.
That's not a valid statement - you need to check the incoming mains water flow rate to determine whether or not it will support a high power shower unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back