9.5KW Shower - installer says 6mm T+E with 40Amp RCD is OK

Henley blocks are used to split the service cables in order to connect more than one consumer unit. It is advisable also to fit a main isolator which will turn off both CUs at once. This is fitted before the Henley blocks.

Is there not a spare way in the unprotected side of the CU where you could fit an RCBO to avoid the expense of having two CUs? (Not that there's anything wrong with the plan to have a seperate shower CU.)

Sponsored Links
His quote sounds pretty good too. But if you are not happy, then find someone else. It is up to the installer to explain things properly and give you confidence - not up to you to worry about whether he is competent.

Yeah I hear you, and I'm not one to be arguing with experts, its just because its water and electricity. :)

#8: can you expand on that?

Just possible that the existing installation is missing something fundamental like supplementary bonding, in which case cables and clamps would be needed.

Also, I dont want to tramp on the guys toes, HE'S the tradesman after all, not me.

Which is why you should be speaking to him about this and HE should fill YOU with confidence.

Although it is useful to know what you should be expecting.

Just possible that the existing installation is missing something fundamental like supplementary bonding, in which case cables and clamps would be needed.

Cool, understood thanks.

Although it is useful to know what you should be expecting.

Thats why I'm asking here, I know Nothing!

Theres not a spare unprotected slot on the CU unfortunately, just a spare RCD protected one.

To be fair, the guy sounded reasonable enough and I understand if he can only work with what he has available to him.

The argument for wanting to upgrade my shower at a later date is very good. Thats my reason for wanting 10mm cable.

As there are Installers posting here, would it be better if a punter phoned you before-hand to express preferences about a job rather than you turning up and the guy saying "I want This with This and This"?

The Guy IS giving me a good quote, and I want to give him my Business
:)

Sponsored Links
Theres not a spare unprotected slot on the CU unfortunately, just a spare RCD protected one.
The shower circuit might be able to go in there, although this sounds like the old NN type board which means the maximum MCB size is 40A.
A separate enclosure with RCD and MCB is probably the best option.

However why not have a 10.5kW shower fitted now? There is little (if any) price difference, and a higher power model will have a better rate of flow at any given temperature.

The shower circuit might be able to go in there, although this sounds like the old NN type board which means the maximum MCB size is 40A.
A separate enclosure with RCD and MCB is probably the best option.

However why not have a 10.5kW shower fitted now? There is little (if any) price difference, and a higher power model will have a better rate of flow at any given temperature.

Good point, why not install a 10.5KW shower?
I'll phone the chap Monday ask about that.

I'd be happy with a seperate box as he has suggested.
I'll discuss my needs with him then too, as I feel more clued up about the whole thing now.

:D

Hmh yeah, no doubt.

Originally went for an 8.5 and quoted me an extra £40 for a 9!

It was when I said the model he is fitting is a tenner more to buy in the shops He accepted a tenner more than his previous quote.

Yup, I'm one of THOSE guys :)

Thanks very much for all the advice guys.
Most helpful. :)

As there are Installers posting here, would it be better if a punter phoned you before-hand to express preferences about a job rather than you turning up and the guy saying "I want This with This and This"?
In answer to your question, I would rather see a job than hear about it on the phone. Installations are never exactly as described, and usually not as straightforward.

Also, the supplementary bonding in the bathroom will need extending to include the new shower circuit, unless every circuit in the bathroom is RCD protected.

and.... any extraneous conducive parts are bonded to the MET

and.........?

£190 to fit a new shower circuit, including supply shower? Giving you a fixed quote for the job without seeing it? There's NOT A CHANCE he'll be doing it right and testing it and supplying you with an installation certificate (I would highly doubt he would even be capable of operating the tester or filling out the cert)

My spark charged £210 to fit a (short) shower circuit with a separate CU and RCD with Henley blocks. I bought the 9.8KW shower for £200, so the total was more like £400. Mira do a poweful 10KW+ shower - next one up from mine.

and.... any extraneous conducive parts are bonded to the MET

and.........?

All circuits in the bathroom comply with regulation 411.3.2 (requirements for automatic disconnection)

That'll teach me for trying to avoid typing all the requirements for omission of supplimentary bonding :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back