9448+ alarm issues - help appreciated!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys
My alarm is really starting to hack me off now :LOL:
Its in a house I recently bought and I didnt get the code for it as it was a reposession :/

So I did the factory reset, all seemed ok, but I am getting a tamper light which wont let me set the alarm. (ive got a tamper fault basically)

I have researched this alarm as much as I can but Im no alarm guru by a long stretch and am at my wits end with it now :evil:

The battery is about 10 years old and this was the first thing I thought I should change, but I removed it and it has 13.9V when I tested it with multimeter? is this too much, I was thinking I should test it with it charging as well but havent done it yet.

Can anyone advise what I should do? I was going to buy a new matching control panel but this may not fix it?!

All seems to work ok when i test it, if I disconnect battery , external siren sounds, recconect it and internal one sounds until I reset it.

All assistance appreciated ;)

Sponsored Links
first thing;

change the battery!!!
just because it says 13.9V this really does not mean anything, that AH (amp hour) capacity is what you need to know, (and without a nifty bit of kit called an Iteligent battery tester) you will not be able to find out the capacity, so change it.

the main fault, i have found on 9448 (stand alaone panel, keypad on board type) is the tmaper spring on the PCB,

sometimes this does not locate or actuate properly,

to test this;
enter engineering mode
open panel
hold down with one hand the tamper spring
then come out of engineer,

if the baove works that is you fault, stetch the spring abit, not to much, re fit and test.

if this does not work;
loop out (wire link) the `glodal tamper` connections
and the TA and 0V connection fro the bell box,
carry out the above tests, if this is fine,
remove either link,
test again
that should locate were the fault is,

is either the tamper spring easy fix
circuit tamper, not to easy to fix
external siren tamper not easy to fix

the tamper faults could be on a detector, the external siren unit, the cable feeding a device of external siren.

if you get stuck and really dont want to go down this line, call an engineer to sort it, we carry all the knowledge and experiance to be able to locate and fix a fault like this, with not much trouble.

hope this helps

john

Has the tamper fault only appeared since you've been in the panel?

If so, it's probably the panel tamper spring. I've serviced a few where the panel will go into tamper when exiting engineer mode, pressing the tamper spring in and out a few times usually sorts it out.

Remove the battery altogether and see if it clears. You can here the panel door tamper click when you close it. I get more trouble from the siren unit tamper switch than anything else.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your useful help guys.

John. Many thanks, I will try what you have suggested tomorrow and see how it goes!

I could only find one global tamper connection the last time I tried to link it out so I gave up!!! Any idea how it/they will be marked up?!
I will also get a new battery in there at the weekend!

Scott- no mate, the tamper fault was there before I opened the panel iirc but I have tried tweaking the spring and holding the switch down manually and exiting engineer mods with no joy in the past :/

Joe - thanks, will try this. In fact iirc I have done so already as I got so desperate to find the problem I tried every avenue I could think of! but it was a while ago so I will test it again tonight when Im home.

if i remember right (which is suspect as i have not worked on them for a while)

the tamper terminals are on the side connections at either the top or the bottom

you should have zone terminals and them the tamper terminal
on the bottom strip of terminals are the other connections

any one out there who can remember better please feel free to add!!!!!
(as i aint seen one for ages, i even had a look in the back of our stores to see if there was one there and there isnt)

john

or you can photo the internals and i can then point it out to you!!

I think they are on the bottom right hand side marked TT.

ok guys,

Well, I have done a pretty picture of the layout as photgraphing it proved awkward

2448layout.jpg

I have changed the battery, the only difference is the alarm now sounds if i try and set it or even if I exit engineer mode!

I will list the bottom row contacts by wires

str - 1x white
bell - 1x yellow
12v - 1xred 1x green
0v - 1x black, 1x blue
TR - NO WIRES!!!?????
+ - 1x yellow
LS - 1 x yellow
D/P - no wire
Data- No wire
Clk - no wire

Shouldnt the TR be wired to the -ve tamper return on the bell?

How can I link this out to see if it cures it please?

Thanks guys :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back