A barrier of some sort across our driveway?

On my last house I had a drive way. People occasionally used to use it to turn around in too. I'm over it now but it did take some therapy.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We have gates and people use the dropkerb anyway, even though neighbours have no gates and a dropkerb. One (to my knowledge) has hit the gates but no damage was caused, fortunately.
If you go for gates it may be worth having CCTV in case anyone damages the gates.

Similar here. One woman opposite used to tell her visitors to park in front of my driveway (she parks at the front of her house on what would have been the front garden)- when I turn up and get irritated I've got a bad attitude apparently. Strangely, after I left my van outside her house for a day or so (of course I moved it eventually when she wanted to be in or out), the problem went away.
This is one I don't get.

If your visiting someone then that person is obviously going nowhere, so why not park in front of their drive?

We have a woman who visits her daughter on our road. Does she park over her daughters drive?
No.
Does she park over our drive so the left most car would be unable to leave?
Yes.

Worst one I had was parking up, going to town to get a takeaway, came back ready to jump in the car & head off to my mothers.
Except there was no jumping in the car because someone had parked square over my dropped kerb entrance. Totally blocking me in.
That was before we had it opened up.
I had to go knocking on all the doors asking if the car belonged to anyone.

Maybe I'm too considerate of others & should stop giving a damn about them.

Start by going & putting my rubbish in their bins for example & then ask them 'what's the fuss, just get over it'

:)

Sponsored Links
whether bollards or gates, they will inconvenience you too.

Then how about some sort of flat rubber reflective bollard, bolted to the ground, which is on a springy hinge? That way it is a visual deterrent to others using your drive, but is not an incovenience to you, because you can just drive straight over it and it will pop back up each time!

A bit like these, but being made of flat rubber would be better for repeated driving over. Skip to 1:13...

Gaz :)

whether bollards or gates, they will inconvenience you too.

Then how about some sort of flat rubber reflective bollard, bolted to the ground, which is on a springy hinge? That way it is a visual deterrent to others using your drive, but is not an incovenience to you, because you can just drive straight over it and it will pop back up each time!

A bit like these, but being made of flat rubber would be better for repeated driving over. Skip to 1:13...

Gaz :)
That looks a good idea. I wonder how long they last?

I had a neighbour who always garaged his car, we had 2 cars & to ease traffic flow we would park outside his house.
He bought a car, had it taxed & it was parked out front & NEVER moved. Those were the days before they had to be insured.
Sad bstard..Takes all sorts.

Someone had the cheek to ask me to move my burnt out car and our old 3 piece so that they could turn around using or drive. Bloody nerve some folk.

Sign saying 'no turning - CCTV' will stop the majority of people.

Those who do it anyway wouldn't be much put off by any other measure that doesn't cause you more hassle than it's worth.

I had a neighbour who always garaged his car, we had 2 cars & to ease traffic flow we would park outside his house.
He bought a car, had it taxed & it was parked out front & NEVER moved. Those were the days before they had to be insured.
Sad bstard..Takes all sorts.

Neighbour was recently having some work done, and one van was already parked in front of the neighbour, though not blocking their drive. A second van appeared, whilst I was busy with something out front, near my gates - the driver pulled up blocking my drive, got out, and asked 'OK to leave it there', my reply - 'what do you think?'. At which he got really ratty, and moved it back a yard, muttering to himself, so it was clear of my drive. I just didn't understand the logic of parking blocking anyone's drive unnecessarily, he wasn't loading or unloading, just saving himself walking an extra yard.

As you can see Mr OP there are a plethora or idiots on this forum and one or two have actually posted in this thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back