Bad Block Paving Contractor

Bottom line is that in the absence of any specifiuc contract terms, then you need to prove that the drive was installed negligently.

Or, in England, you would say that, for a drive or a car-parking area, it is an implied contract term that it shall be suitable for driving and parking a car.

There is no need in English law for the following conversation:

"I bought a kettle here yesterday, and it leaks"

"Well? If you wanted a non-leaking kettle you should have said so."

Sponsored Links
Or, in England, you would say that, for a drive or a car-parking area, it is an implied contract term that it shall be suitable for driving and parking a car

Not really. Many houses have a covenant preventing the parking of vehicles on the drive believe it or not.

Driving across is completly different to parking on, in terms of performance of the paving. So its implicit on the homeowner to take care of their paving, not park in the same place and check it once it starts to move to take early preventitive action. If a rut is left it soon becomes a bigger rut.

Again, how is it clear that the contractor is negligent? We don't even know what arrangement existed between the two or how much was paid - as cost makes a big difference to what is received.

I dunno who believes all that guff, having spoken to a couple of paving contractors when I did mine they just want to do whatever is quickest, one of them didn't even know what a damp proof course was, he started talking about air bricks when I mentioned it. If they are that way inclined with terms and conditions pedantry they would be making more money as lawyers not laying paving every day!
End of the day to the op, that's petty much par for the course, and unless you get an architect to specify and a clerk of works to supervise it all you're just going to get whatever the contractor does normally. Or do it yourself.

Doing it yourself prob sounds like the best option at least that way you know it will be some right. May take 10x longer but will be worth it. Know for next time now.

Sponsored Links
Took me 2 months of weekends to do ours, and about 500 pounds as we reused the old blocks.
I had no experience, only the internet!
Neighbours did almost the same one although included a low wall 3m long, took 2 days for about 4 men, but cost 4200!

Yes I think it has to be a skill to be learned. Will stop work going out to bad contractors and then maybe they will reduce their prices and improve quality of service

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back