A bit of bondage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see his house...
If you like we can find a block of Council Flats somewhere and you can pull on your carpet slippers and take a firm grip of each of the radiators and other isolated pieces of un-bonded pipework, I will then attach a live conductor to the other end of each.
...I bet he's got 4mm G/Y attached to everything metal that could be touched - doorhandles, coat hooks, saucepans, cutlery....

Sponsored Links
Has anyone read his book on ADS yet?

Yet?

Why would anybody who posts on here consider doing such a thing...

[thinks] ...although, one the other hand, it might be quite interesting.

I wonder if he's rewritten Ohm's Law, for instance? It's more than probable, given what he's posted here.

I'd love to see his house...
If you like we can find a block of Council Flats somewhere and you can pull on your carpet slippers and take a firm grip of each of the radiators and other isolated pieces of un-bonded pipework, I will then attach a live conductor to the other end of each.
...I bet he's got 4mm G/Y attached to everything metal that could be touched - doorhandles, coat hooks, saucepans, cutlery....

Wuh-wait a minute!

You saying that's wrong??? :eek:

Has anyone read his book on ADS yet?

Yet?

Why would anybody who posts on here consider doing such a thing...

[thinks] ...although, one the other hand, it might be quite interesting.

I wonder if he's rewritten Ohm's Law, for instance? It's more than probable, given what he's posted here.

Was a little surprised that his book was about ADS and not EEBAD given the time warp he seems to be living in.

Sponsored Links
Oh my god - you are reading from a pre-2004 version of the 16th edn regs, not the yellow cover is it :eek:

From page 15 - the very last numbered page - of his 'book'.

"David Cockburn is an Electrician[sic] who was given a start in the industry by his Father[sic].

Nearly a decade and a half of practical experience preceded by a highly successful college education..."

I reckon this is a clue - he's using his dad's old, red covered, pre-first amendment version. :D :D :D

Well, that's okay, because I drive to the 1954 version of the Highway Code! :eek:

*Before anybody looks it up, I admit to having used poetic licence and altered that quote ever so slightly - by a single word, in fact - but as DC does the same with physics I figure that's acceptable.

Where do you believe these 'touch voltages' come from.

I believe that what you are referring to is 'earth leakage current' or 'earth fault current'.
No. Nobody is referring to current.

Earth Leakage Current - "A current which flows to earth, or to extraneous-conductive-parts, in a circuit which is electrically sound. This current may have a capacitive component including that resulting from the deliberate use of capacitors".
Definition deleted by BS 7671 2001 (date clue there)
Or in your case from pressure faults in your sloppy installation work!
In electricity, pressure is a reference to voltage. I know that's not what you mean, but of course you don't know what you mean, do you?

Now at fear of repeating myself, the time for debate is over it is now time for you to prove your theories.

You can't say fairer than that!
Or, we could adopt the traditional approach of the educated and you could prove your theories, because all you believe is at odds with the understanding of the good burghers of institution that writes the rules.

Tell you what, I'm actually going to be at Faraday House on Monday - fancy dropping by and giving us all a treat?

Was a little surprised that his book was about ADS and not EEBAD given the time warp he seems to be living in.

I wonder:

As "An Illustrated Explanations of Earthed Equipotential Bonding" was mostly about disconnection, maybe "An Illustrated Explanation of Automatic Disconnection of Supply" is the missing link and all that's happened here is that he's got the covers mixed up!

David, our apologies if it's that damned vanity publishing house that's got you into this mess! ;)

By the way, I see you have five Amazon reviews now: If you add them all up, you get five stars!

No I didn't.

But I do know this - if he was an infantryman, and the entire division was on the march, he'd be the only one in step.

In electricity, pressure is a reference to voltage. I know that's not what you mean, but of course you don't know what you mean, do you?

Ding...

To be fair to him (and this perhaps the only thing that he has written that can be defended!).. I think this might be a regional thing, but I've always known a 'pressure fault' to be informal language for a conductor crushed against a metallic enclosure by the pressure of pushing stuff back untidily or into an enclosure thats too small. The use of the term seems to not be that wide spread, but it is in use

Dave, leaving aside the issue of your (superbly demonstrated) complete lack of understanding of what bonding is, what it does, how it does it, and why it's needed, please quote from this (now nine page) thread anywhere where anyone has said that bonding is not important or neccesary. Thanks.

well what can I say! I saw this thread a good few days back but didn't look at it as i thought that it would be boring, how wrong was I! its been a very entertaining read buts its been one of those that you don't know whether to laugh or cry, and since I haven't posted in a while here's my tuppence worth

Mr cockburn if you are still reading this thread then you really need to go back to basics and learn electrical principles, I know that you may be thinking that people are just getting at you but to be brutally honest your book is errorous and really should be taken out of circulation, you have been corrected on a number of occasions but you fail to acknowledge the fact.You state
One last thing:
I am the proud owner of a set of City and Guilds qualifications that all have something in common apart from the fact that they all bare name, they also include the phrase "no higher grade can be achieved in this subject".

sorry I disagree, I too passed my 16th edition but then had a change of career in 2007 (still electrcally involved though) but I still took my 17th last year because
a)you never know what is around the corner and
b)its a higher grade than the 16th because its up to date

you wanted debate so consider this quote of yours
If in future years somebody comes up with a way of automatically disconnecting the supply, based on the capacitance of the human body then we will no longer be reliant on eebads. But at this point that seems unlikely, therefore we are stuck with it. For one thing it is the only method of protecting ourselves from 400v phase to phase contact,
you have already been told that earthing does not (and can not)protect against phase to phase contact, how can it? its connected,along with the neutral to the star point of the sub-station transformer so it is the same principle as a 110v site transformer ie its a centre tapped connection at its best
I dont agree with the first statment either as ideally someone will come up with a foolproof method of insulation that would negate the use of "earthing", it is extremely difficult to guarantee perfect insulation from earth especially on the supply side which is the very reason that it that we tie one side of the supply to it
it has its flaws but its the lesser of two evils, here is an example
Therefore first test an RCD with a ramp tester to ensure that it is working at 30mA, then go upstairs, take off your boots, lift the carpet and stand on the floorboards, then take the front off of a socket and put the back of your index finger onto the live conductor.
I very much doubt that the RCD will trip and it will hurt like a son of a ****.

Once you've done this, then come back and debate me over whether or not you think you need earthing.
ok here is your debate, apart from the fact that in the statement above, the use of earthing/bonding to any standard makes no difference whatsoever on the outcome (so I can't fathom what your point was) i will use your 'test' as an example anyway

you have two choices
a)take off your boots, lift the carpet and stand on the floorboards, then take the front off of a socket and put the back of your index finger onto the line conductor (or live conductor if you prefer to call it that).
or
b)touch a radiator that has been installed with plastic piping but bonded as per your illustration with supplementory bonding to earth potential with one hand then take the front off of a socket and put the back of your other index finger onto the line conductor
whats it gonna be dave a or b? I'd pick (a)

can you see what your earthing arrangements have done in this scenario?

Once the continuity of copper pipes is removed, the radiators simply become lots of individual extraneous-conductive-parts.
No they don't - they stop being extraneous conductive parts.
b.a.s is correct you know and reconnecting plasic piped rads to earth potential turns them back into extraneous-conductive-parts

but................heres the flip side

imagine the same radiator in plastic pipe somehow physically coming into contact with a line conductor, would you now prefer
a)it to be connected to earth potential so the fuse/mcb operates quickly
or
b)not connected, so its at a potential difference with the floor waiting for you to come along and touch it

This is where the flaw lies, in the first example its better if the rad is not supplementary bonded in the second it is better if it is, so what do you do?
answer you use common sense and decide on which scenario is most likely to happen and which is most potentially dangerous and regulate to suit

you keep going on about RCD's and earth arangements to 17th edition standards and you have been told that the latter is the same and it is
If it is the fact that you can leave out supplementary bonding if all circuits are fed via RCD that bothers you then I suggest you go and take the exam and get a copy of the book
you still have to verify and measure earth resistance and proceed as necessary
RCD's / RCBO's are great, not only to they offer protection they also to some extent act as insulation breakdown monitoring devices,

Is it the simplicity of electrical safety earthing that is annoying you so much?

Once upon a time heating systems were tubed in copper pipe, if the copper pipes are removed why don't you just replace the continuity that they provided with copper cables?

When you boil it all down, that's all that this is about.

why would you want to connect something that is now isolated from the suppy back to one side of it?

If somebody wishes to demonstrate that the supply will be automatically disconnected whenever an un-earthed extraneous-conductive-part comes into contact with a live conductor, then I will be forced to change my opinion of the 16th Edition.

un-earthed extraneous-conductive-part?
no such thing,it makes as much sense as "a conductive insulator"
as already suggested have a read of the definitions,
I think you mean un-earthed conductive part ie metal window frame? and why would you want to bond that?

Therefore if this 'touch voltage' emerges as a result of the exposed or extraneous-conductive-part that you are in contact with, coming into contact directly with a live conductor and therefore becoming hazardous live itself.
If it is bonded to earth you will be in 'indirect contact' and the supply should automatically disconnect.
If it isn't bonded you will be in 'direct contact'!

no you will be in indirect contact in both cases
again read the definitions in your book

The problem here, is that YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND the very subject that your book claims to explain.

Oh, sorry, I must be wrong. It must be me, the IET, the contributors to this and their forum... in short, anybody but you.

Look. EVERYBODY DISAGREES WITH YOU.
count me in too ding, he also doesn't understand plumbing systems either but I can't be bothered to go into that

Matt

Best of luck with that, Matt.

He hasn't read anything that anybody else has written, but you never know...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back