A bit of help re gas cooker please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lad has bought a gas cooker from a local shop but when he took it home he didnt realise that the flexible pipe to connect it to the gas stand pipe in the kitchen wasn't included. When he rang the shop to ask if they supply the pipes, they said they do carry them but if he fitted it himself, it would invalidate the cooker warranty as it wasn't connected by a qualified person.

Could you tell me if this is correct because I always thought that the flexible pipe, not being a permanent connection, was OK for a diy'er to connect/disconnect ?

TIA - bigzed.

Sponsored Links
The plug-in-connector end of the pipe can be used but the end of the pipe that is fitted to the cooker should be installed by a gas fitter.

Andy.

The Cooker should be installed by a RGI who holds CKR1 certifiaction (see back of their Gas Safe Card) this is to ensure that ventillation is correct, and distances from combustibles has been adhered to ;)

The Cooker should be installed by a RGI who holds CKR1 certifiaction (see back of their Gas Safe Card) this is to ensure that ventillation is correct, and distances from combustibles has been adhered to ;)

amongst other requirements to meet the GSIUR regs other things are also needing checking / installing
Your RGI will ensure that the correct installation / tests are carried out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys, he went home and found that there isn't a bayonet on the cooker end anyway, just a bsp connection, so as soon as he told me that, I said he would have to get a fitter in anyway.

He's gonna ring around tomorrow to see if he can beat the shop price of supplying and fitting of the pipe etc of £75. However, I said to him that didn't sound too bad to me considering the pipes are about 20-odd quid by themselves and he gets a safety certificate to boot.

The price doesn't seem too bad to me either. Just checked with the company I used recently for a new boiler and their price is £69 so in the same ballpark.

I'd be dubious of someone doing it significantly cheaper tbh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back