A brexit benefit

Sponsored Links
SHOCK! Pro-Brexit article in the Guardian.

This excellent piece tells of how wages are rising and more jobs are available as a result of economic migrants going back home. Who'd have thought that?

So what’s so wrong with labour shortages driving up low wages? | Larry Elliott | The Guardian

there is a shortage of HGV drivers.

increasing wages won’t solve that.

Wage inflation is being influenced by ending of furlough….if you go from 80% to 100% of your wages….you have a pay rise………

there is a shortage of HGV drivers.

increasing wages won’t solve that.

Wage inflation is being influenced by ending of furlough….if you go from 80% to 100% of your wages….you have a pay rise………
Increasing wages won't solve it quickly. Apparently it takes about 8-10 weeks to go from start to trucking.

Unless DVLA or some other bottleneck is stopping it, why won't we see the shortage start to ease in 3-4 months?

Many HGV Drivers were working as self employed so they were taking home about 25k but only paying a few hundred in income taxes (wife being an employee etc). Now with IR35 employers would need to pay about 35k for the truckers to earn what they did before.

With less cabotage and drivers are returning trucks empty to avoid customs checks you have less capacity and thus higher deman for drivers who are limited to the number of hours they can work.

There is a short squeeze happening and the secondary effect will not sustain these higher wages. Highwe wages will feed through to the economy in cost push inflation and it will be interesting to see how the Government reacts.

If you look at the factors of production - Land, Labour, Capital and Entrepeneur. In the past companies found it easier to invest in labour as it was cheaper relative to capital investments - but there may be an inflection point on the not too distant horizon. This may be an Indian Summer..

Sponsored Links
. In the past companies found it easier to invest in labour as it was cheaper relative to capital investments

The problem is that’s only true for certain repetitive jobs that can be mechanised

many of the jobs done by migrants are stuff like fruit picking, caring for elderly, auxilliary hospital staff, chamber maids, waitresses, baristas.

the other big problem is automation is only possible for big companies, not SMEs. Automation leads to monopolies

I believe the capital vs Labour thing is not that binary.

1st September 2021
Post-Brexit UK Food Industry Is £2bn Worse Off After "Disastrous" Fall In EU Sales

the figures "blow apart" the government's "myth" that trade disruption is a temporary issues as the UK and EU adjust to the new rules.

Meat and dairy products have been the worst hit, the FDF analysis found, due largely to stringent post-Brexit rules for British businesses selling goods of animal origin to customers in the bloc.

read all about brexit failure here:
https://www.politicshome.com/news/a...on-fall-eu-sales-food-drink-federation-report

ane Townson, CEO of the UK Homecare Association, said long-term problems across the sector such as low pay and unsociable hours have been exacerbated by Brexit

Care sector facing its worst ever staffing crisis, survey for ITV News finds

It’s both touching and worrying at the same time that I’m on your mind at 1.05 in the morning. I fear I’m becoming a fixation for you and I’m sorry to say but I’ll have to refuse your PM for a request of a photo of me naked except for a pair of socks. Just what have you been peeping at now?

Brexit: food and drink exports to EU suffer ‘disastrous’ decline

"Food and Drink Federation producers lost £2bn in sales,"

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/oth...ffer-disastrous-decline/ar-AAO1gC0?li=BBoPWjQ

AAO1dQ1.img

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back