A couple of pics for comment!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been to a council owned pensioners bungalow and this is what I see in the meter cupboard ( :eek: new rewire :eek:)

Sponsored Links
Always thought should be through same hole or a slot between them.

My thoughts aswell. The occupier is going to tell the warden who will chase it up.

Can you imagine how many other rewires they have done like this??

Always thought should be through same hole or a slot between them.
Blink and you'll miss that on the DISQ course, and it's not (AFAIK) mentioned in either the OSG or the EGTTBR.....

OOI how important is it given the average currents and periods of peak loading in domestic installations?

Also, what are those cut-off cables poking into the top of the old enclosure?

Sponsored Links
If you do it this way then you get eddy currents which will heat up the metal given enough current through the tails and as it's in the brown book they should have done it properly!!

In our area we have villages which have no mains gas, so with electric ovens and showers the loading can be quite high, for short periods.

As the meter box is internal, these bungalows were originally wired with skeleton boards and the cables clipped direct and plastered over - so they are the ends of the old circuits. All the new circuits are done as per usual new council work - SURFACE MOUNTED AND IN TRUNKING -

If you do it this way then you get eddy currents which will heat up the metal given enough current through the tails
The point of my question...

and as it's in the brown book they should have done it properly!!
It's pretty well buried there too, with just a single sentence. Nor does the grey book give it any more prominence.

All the new circuits are done as per usual new council work - SURFACE MOUNTED AND IN TRUNKING -
Lovely....

Ban...The cut-offs look like ex-circuit cables and the enclosure looks like an ex-CU.

Only time I have seen the slot method was with single core pyro mains , taking about 300 amps a phase.

Never seen it in writing regarding normal cables either, but the same hole seems to be what most people do.

Have seen a 36 way board wired in singles with three 2 inch bushes , red black and earth through each.

I was taught that phase/neutral conductors should enter through the same opening if the enclosure is metal, to do away with eddy currents.
Seen quite a few older db's using the slot method with the slot having a paxolin cover across it that the tails enter through.

cant work out why they didnt use a new skeleton board,much easier/neater.
get back onto them those tails through seperate holes are making me cringe :D

before we rewired one of our factorys at work there was an old royal switchfuse isolator with 4x25mm conduits comin out of the top and running for about a metre up to a fuse board. In each of these conduits was one cable, red, yellow, blue for the phases and neutral up the last conduit.

always made me cringe and i was delighted when i got to rip it out but i must say it never caused any problems and they had plenty of current running through them 12 hours a day as the board powered some substantial welding equipment.

whilst i would agree the setup in the pictures is against regulations and it should be changed (i certainly wouldnt ever do it) i wonder how much of a problem it could potentially be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back