A good heat only boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With your combined experince of installing new boilers, which one would you recommend, a Glowworm Ultracom HXI or an Vaillant ECO TEC PLUS ? I am more concerned with reliability.

I tried WHICH Online but their reports are very limited and somewhat out out of date.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
With your combined experince of installing new boilers, which one would you recommend, a Glowworm Ultracom HXI or an Vaillant ECO TEC PLUS ? I am more concerned with reliability.

I tried WHICH Online but their reports are very limited and somewhat out out of date.
Thanks.

They are about the same, but the HXi is cheaper with a guarantee which is less too. Both made by Vaillant and Vaillant service dept does both too.

Most people who install boilers would go for the Vaillant any day!

However, a more reliable boiler may be the Viessmann. They have had a little stick because a small part failed shortly after installation on their cheapest model and had to be replaced by a redesigned one but that was all at no cost to the owner.

If a Viessmann is fitted by an approved installer then it has a FIVE year warranty!!!

Tony

Most people who install boilers would go for the Vaillant any day!

However, a more reliable boiler may be the Viessmann. They have had a little stick because a small part failed shortly after installation on their cheapest model and had to be replaced by a redesigned one but that was all at no cost to the owner.

If a Viessmann is fitted by an approved installer then it has a FIVE year warranty!!!

Tony

There is little between the HXI and Vaillant, except cost and guarantee.

Viessmann are v good. I would put in an Atmos Intergas myself. If they have decent service near you go for the Atmos. It is a league away from others. Their combis are by far the best. A superb simple elegant design and very well made too.

Sponsored Links
The Hxi is the old discontinued Ecomax Pro. The Ecotec Plus 400 series are better with more diagnostics.

I would prefer to fit a Ecotec 600 series system boiler instead of the other 2 though.

Pity you are not in my area, all my Vaillants and Glow Worms come complete with a 3 year full parts and labour warranty ;)

I would prefer to fit a Ecotec 600 series system boiler instead of the other 2 though.

Disagree there g4u. Had no trouble with any regular version Pro or Plus, more grief with 600 system. Would rather use 400's even with a sealed system kit.

RE Vailant heat only boilers, i think any manufacturer that cant be arsed changing the facia of what was a combi and leaves a redundant HW stat knob and signage for hw water . Shows a sign of disregard for customer and is amateurish.
Will viessman /atmos etc be there in 15 years time with available parts and more important people who will readily look at them personally i doubt it.

Will viessman /atmos etc be there in 15 years time with available parts and more important people who will readily look at them personally i doubt it.

Viessmann are one of the largest boiler makers in the world and are now well established in the UK. Quality stuff. Atmos have a way to go. Their install base is decent enough and increasing as their reputation increases. The best.

WB CDi heat only are the same ,there's a hot water temp switch on the front that is obviously for the combi version however there is a label telling you that it has no function.

Agree re the Veissman/ANother boilers ,couldn't possibly recommend anything that no one wants to repair. Kestons are another manufacturers with similar profile as in,hardly anyone has ever heard of them where I am. I slung one today right back to Keston.

yep atmos that good that there latest bees knees boiler is still off the saes list that must fill everyone who bought them before they decided they didn`t work , with nothing but confidence.
Don`t care how big a company it is the people who fit them won`t go and repair them and the majority of the guys who do repairs will just say sorry i don`t work on them .
So customers who have them will have to tie into expensive insurance contracts

RE Vailant heat only boilers, i think any manufacturer that cant be a***d changing the facia of what was a combi and leaves a redundant HW stat knob and signage for hw water . Shows a sign of disregard for customer and is amateurish.

The DHW stat is left on the boiler because if using a unistor and VR65 control unit the DHW temp is set on the boiler stat.

:?: Thanks to everyone for their responses. However, I am only looking for open vent boiler and have these two on my short list. One other differenece between the two is the output. As I said earlier, I am more concerened with the reliability after the guaratee expires.

I was dead set on a Glowworm until I spoke to the Company who confirmed that they are simply part of the Vaillant Group and make different products.
So come on guys give us the specifc feed back on these two, please.

Thanks once again for your interest.

Its not obvious to me, and perhaps to others, why you have restricted your consideration to only two boilers from the same company!

This is particularly so when you say that your interest is reliability!

Tony

Its not obvious to me, and perhaps to others, why you have restricted your consideration to only two boilers from the same company!

This is particularly so when you say that your interest is reliability!

Tony

Thank you Tony. My limited research was based on cost and popularity. I am open to suggestions but am also wary of less known brand names that might spell trouble for spares or service in future.
Judging from the comments so far I feel the need to be more flexible.
Any suggestions?

You shouldn't have any problems with either of your 2 choices as long as they are fitted correctly to a clean system and commissioned properly with a FGA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back