A good heat only boiler?

You shouldn't have any problems with either of your 2 choices as long as they are fitted correctly to a clean system and commissioned properly with a FGA.
Thanks for that Dave!

I forgot to mention the BTU, EcoTec Plus 428 and Ultracom HXI 24. I have also been advised against oversizing if there is not much heat los.

I have been quoted these two makes by different installers for this (replacement) job. Both have quoted flushing but I don't know what FGA stands for, please eloborate.

Sponsored Links
Both the Vaillant 4 series and the Glowworm are dogs.

The Vaillant is a nasty UK only contraption, we've only fitted three of them, two have already gone t*ts up. Lastest problem is the cables get shut in the hinge, shorting out the fan and its hall sensors.

Nice piece of string holding the PCB open.

The Viessmann Compact 100W 24kW is better than both of them.

The Vaillant 6, 8 and 9 series are good but aren't designed to work open vent. Being designed for Germany.

The Buderus Bosch 600R is a nice open vent boiler, but Worcester Bosch are limiting the warranty to installers because they want to protect their own open vented boilers, namely the Ri and CDi Conventional series. Only problem with the 600R is the condense drain, which was altered for the UK market by....Worcester!

I love these amusing threads :LOL: :LOL:

Reliability + Atmos, Broag, Viessmann. The rest you take ya chance.

Why do you think Vaillant, Baxi/potty, Glowworm etc have a good after sales and spares dept, you got it in one, they need it.

The Buderus Bosch 600R is a nice open vent boiler, but Worcester Bosch are limiting the warranty to installers because they want to protect their own open vented boilers, namely the Ri and CDi Conventional series. Only problem with the 600R is the condense drain, which was altered for the UK market by....Worcester!

Because like the rest they make a killing on spares, the German Buderus is a brilliant boiler and the only one I would swop my aging Servowarm for, until Worcester got their grubby paws on it.

Sponsored Links
:D Thanks for all that info. Bloody depressing if you ask me.

Why do all the good ones come from Germany? As always we are left with sub-standard goods with a "good spares service" because (as pointed out), it would be needed.

So thanks for all your time and input. It has been an eye opener. I will seriously consider Viessman if they also sell plume management kits.

And Dave, thanks for breaking the FGA code. I can stop pulling my hair now.

:( Well Guys! Due to the weight of the arguments in favour of Viessmann I decided to look into it and guess what, no plume management for the 100 series. The dealers I spoke to simply refer me to the manufacturer in the UK for any further info.
Some of the 200 series can be purchase with plume kits but these are system boilers only. Bit of a quandry, huh..
The only way I can opt for a Viessmann is to change my heating drastically. So I am back on the trail again.

Will someone please HELP.

what do you want to do with your plume? they have a tall thing like a chimney in the accessories cat.

I think you will find the 100 series does have a plume management kit!

Tony

Guys! Thanks for the replies. The present flue points to the boundary wall next door (on the side of the hose). This needs to be raised a bit and turned half way to discharge at an angle away from the boundary wall.

I did speak to Viessman on 01952675000 who confirmed the lack of plume management on 100 series.

Finally we are getting there.
Thanks JohnD for info on the various Flue options. I could design it to suit my requirements.
Thanks to all for giving their time and expertise. I shall let you know how I got on. The next thing would be to find a installer willing enough to fit this brand name. All the ones I came across so far can not see beyond Glow worm, Vaillant or Baxi etc.

I suppose there is comfort in what you are familiar with.

hee hee, no expert! just trying to get one at a reasonable price myself.

I live in a small town with one posh and costly approved installer, there are two large towns/small cities 10 miles in different directions. One has no approved installer, the other has one but they only want to sell solar + boiler and will not quote for a simple boiler change.

the next nearest installer is 25 miles away but says he will drive down and add on a milage cost.

I know a brilliant installer in Christchurch, that doesn't have to travel too far to make a living, some small towns have all the luck. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back