A good heat only boiler?

Thanks to doitall for the installer info.
I have many years experience in plumbing and heating myself. I have fitted complete heating systems in my present and previous houses.

Because of the new laws the boiler replacement alone can cost £3K and upwards. My plan was to alter the plumbing for the bigger boiler (replace 22mm with 28mm pipes) and enhance the system controls myself i.e. replace "Y" plan with "S", fit TRVs and auto bypass etc. That will leave the plumber to fit the new boiler and power flush the system.

I will see how it goes otherwise I will keep my trusty 14 year old Profile60 until it conks out. As the boilers are getting more "state of the art" orientated, there are more chances of them going wrong (just like modern cars). That is progress for you and there is nothing you can do about it in this nanny state.
Hell and damnation.

Sponsored Links
I know a brilliant installer in Christchurch, that doesn't have to travel too far to make a living, some small towns have all the luck. :rolleyes:

Hi

If that's Christchurch, Dorset can I have a name & contact number please. I'm in need of a new Combi?

Mike

I know a brilliant installer in Christchurch, that doesn't have to travel too far to make a living, some small towns have all the luck. :rolleyes:

Hi

If that's Christchurch, Dorset can I have a name & contact number please. I'm in need of a new Combi?

Mike

You will probably have to PM me, forum rules and all that. :rolleyes:

We've fitted a number of Vitodens 100s with plume management. Comes in black, or black. :LOL:

The 100 uses the same flue as the smaller 200s, so i am perplexed by this story.

Sponsored Links
We've fitted a number of Vitodens 100s with plume management. Comes in black, or black. :LOL:

The 100 uses the same flue as the smaller 200s, so i am perplexed by this story.
Hi Simon!
I hope you do not mean system boilers as I am looking for open vent.

Having read everything so far, I am quite keen on these boilers now. Will try a different supplier for the info. The ones I spoke to in my area put you through to pretty young females (sounded like it anyway) who do not know jack **** apart from part numbers and prices.
Maybe you know the part/catalog numbers so I could finally nail this beast down.

the 100 Compact is the open vent, available in two ratings, has fewer bits in it than the pressurised ones but maybe you will need to add on a Magnaclean or something

Surely not a DIY job.

Sounds to me like the reason you got poor information was that you called trade outlets who sell stuff in boxes, not installers who know what's inside.

the 100 Compact is the open vent, available in two ratings, has fewer bits in it than the pressurised ones but maybe you will need to add on a Magnaclean or something

Surely not a DIY job.
Thanks, I managed to glean that from the Viessmann website, however their PDF datasheeet for Heat Only version is incorrect. In fact it shows the system boiler (integral vessel etc) which still leaves me in the dark about the specs for the Compact.

DIY job? Yes to all sorts of plumbing and heating applications. No for the boiler installation.

The 100 Compact can be used open vent and fitted with the 100 series plume management kit.

None of the 200 series are open vent and thus these all have an internal exp vessel - well, apart from the 46Kw upwards.

The Viessmann 100 series is straightforward to specify, the 200 series is not insofar as you usually need extra bits.

If you are leaving the fitment to an RGI you will be best advised not to buy the boiler - you will only be left with the most desperate CORGIs, most of us will not fit customer supplied boilers (my company included).

If you really must buy the boiler yourself, I would nail down an RGI first.[/i]

If you really must buy the boiler yourself, I would nail down an RGI first.[/i]
Many thanks for that Simon. I got no probs with the RGI supplying and fitting as long as they retain a reasonable profit margin on the purchase. The ones I spoke to so far were quoting a 100 compact over £1k (trade?) when I know it costs just over £700 retail.

From your exexperience what should be the (standard) upper limit for the cost of supply?

This is one of those difficult questions, and there is no easy answer.

Some customers seem hung up on the precise cost of the materials. When we tell them, they go straight on the internet and tell us we have made £50 on the boiler and they can buy it cheaper.

When you are doing 4 quotes a day this is a conversation you don't need, because it doesn't generally lead you anywhere.

So it is hardly surprising that most RGIs give an inclusive fitted price with warranty etc and when customers ask for a breakdown, they decline.

If you are worried about the competitiveness, get another quote as a benchmark. This is your entitlement, just as it is ours to earn a reasonable living.

What I will say is that BG will give you a printed breakdown. But a fair price and a Viessmann is unlikely.

What I will say is that BG will give you a printed breakdown. But a fair price and a Viessmann is unlikely.
Well said Simon, my sentiments exactly. I would rather stick pins in my eyes than get BG to install a new boiler. An inclusive price then it is.
I am sure to find a decent fitter. I started early in summer to allow for all these niggles to be ironed out. Thank you and all others for all your valuable input. :D

While still on the subject, two quotes from installers included system flushing but in different order. Does it matter at what stage it is done? My own feeling is that you do not want to circulate old muck in the new boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back