A Levels too easy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been having a debate with a mate who's daughter got A*s this week.

I said that I thought they where too easy and should be made more difficult, the national pass rate is 98%. He thinks they should be left alone.

So who is right? are they too easy and dont seperate the really bright students? I thought the whole point of an exam was to distinguish between students.

Sponsored Links
Just been having a debate with a mate who's daughter got A*s this week.

I said that I thought they where too easy and should be made more difficult, the national pass rate is 98%. He thinks they should be left alone.

So who is right? are they too easy and dont seperate the really bright students? I thought the whole point of an exam was to distinguish between students.

dunno, you taken one ??

If I was allowed the use of a calculator, or had access to a computer to aid research, I think I would have done a lot better, is this the reason for better pass grades?

Wotan

i expect the regular assessments which add towards the final grade help, rather than just relying on one exam, which seems a much fairer way of doing things to me .

Sponsored Links
They are easier.

I'd like to see today's kids pass 1951 A level exams in their subjects.

This years kids have taken modules as many times as they need in order to pass.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...tough-A-levels-will-be-hard-but-worth-it.html

Between 1951 and 1980 the pass rate was around the 70% mark.

Have we really bred super-intelligent kids that have managed to up the %age to the late 90's in the same interval?

Or are the examinations easier to pass?

The private schools pay to find out the questions in advance. Seen it on the telly.

:LOL:

MUST be true then!

I went to a private school. They did not do this.

They didn't have league tables then.

:rolleyes: Yes, very much so, but that doesn't matter, as you're not talking.

What I meant was that I don't understand what you're typing...

Offensive you are very good at.

Patience you are not.

Now I think it is you who are stupid.

I ask you, what is the relevance of you typing,

"They didn't have league tables then."

in response to an answer about leaking exam questions?

Eh?

If I was allowed the use of a calculator, or had access to a computer to aid research, I think I would have done a lot better, is this the reason for better pass grades?

Wotan
They are of no use if the student doesn't know how to use them though.
They don't work out the answer from the equations/formulae.

What annoys me is all those with A* yet they still struggle to put a coherent written statement together. And as for spelling!!!!

Sponsored Links
Back