A little help needed, a step in the right direction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m quite new to this forum, in fact very new as this is my first post.

Basically I came here for a bit of guidance.
I started an apprenticeship when I was 16 that didn’t last to long due to me and the owner not seeing, eye to eye. That was in 2001. After I was released from there company I started doing a college course a year or so later doing full time then part time.
In 2005, I did C&G 2351 electrical knowledge. Level 3.

I completed all that.

Then once I finished that I took a step in a completely different direction and something that I’m not really proud of, but went to work in retail in the John Lewis partnership.

Now I’m looking at sorting this out once and for all, and getting on the ladder of becoming an electrician.

After a phone call to I hoped my old college lecturer, didn't quite go to plan due to a massive move around in staff and the person I wanted to speak to had now left. I was informed by the head of the facilities that all I needed to do was find a company willing to take me on and convert what I had to an NVQ doing day release College I believe.

Now this is were I got confused, am I looking out for job vacancies advertising apprenticeship? Or ringing around a few places to see what they can offer?

I’m sorry to waffle on a bit and I hope I have come to the right place for a little help.
I’m 22 now if that helps.

Many thanks

Dom

Sponsored Links
personally i wouldnt take on a 22 year old apprentice when i can get a 16year old one for half the money.
i would sort out your own college stuff and look for an understanding employer.theres plenty about.def far more work than sparks at the mo so i dont expect you will have to much trouble.get your 16th though.

that said.i recently helped a 30 year old investment banker (who used to clear 100k a year) become a sparks and hes bloody good now.horses for courses i suppose.get on the phone mate,ring evryone generally speaking,getting a foot in the door is the easy bit,being allowed to stay is down to your wiilingness to learn and general attitude .goodluck

Have you got a good answer for when the potential employer says "You used to be an apprentice and you gave up. You went to college and you gave up. You joined John Lewis and you gave up. Why should I believe you won't give up again if I take you on?"

Dom
Why not see if you can get in to the John lewis maintenance team, when I was at college a few years ago doing C&G2360 & 2381, two of the lads had been sent by JL on day release , one of them (Mr Morley) was a maint manager I belive.

That way you'll still keep the benefits of working for JL partneship which are very good so I'm told.
Just an idea.

Sponsored Links
Comms

I think you'll find most retail chains outsource facilities management

Hi, Thanks for all the advice. Ill will have a ring round.

Have you got a good answer for when the potential employer says "You used to be an apprentice and you gave up. You went to college and you gave up. You joined John Lewis and you gave up. Why should I believe you won't give up again if I take you on?"

John, i wouldent say i gave up. If you must no. I was sacked. I was sacked because me and the owner never saw eye to eye but i never had to work with him and got on with everyone else fine. We worked together for a couple of days and well them couple of days were my last. You could ask why i didnt find another place to take me on. College gave me a week to find another or i had to leave. So that week was up and i decided to join full time college.

I also wouldent say i "gave" up college, i would rather put it down to putting it on hold.

Giving up retail? Well looking at all the managers except the higher end managers earn nothing. Its very sad see'ing 30year old's still living at home or renting a room as they cant afford there own place. Its just not what i call a good life.

Im not trying to find excuses, but i havent got long left to find a decent carear. So just need to finish what i started.

comms said:
Why not see if you can get in to the John lewis maintenance team, when I was at college a few years ago doing C&G2360 & 2381, two of the lads had been sent by JL on day release , one of them (Mr Morley) was a maint manager I belive.

That way you'll still keep the benefits of working for JL partneship which are very good so I'm told.
Just an idea.

Very good idea there, but i think they are a seperate company now. Tho i will investigate.

start out as a sparkies mate and work your way up...

you're too old now for an apprentice..

Comms

I think you'll find most retail chains outsource facilities management

Most do I know DESL, but I bumped into the bloke at neweys tail end of last year & he was still there at JL managing an in house maint team that included 2 sparks.

I know JL seem to do things their own way but I wonder whether thay are actually employees of the parent company.

United Co-operatives (as they were) had several trading groups. The food retail group was obviously the biggest, with pharmacies, travel agents, and motor dealerships being the next biggest. They also had a group known as Sunwin security. They maintain all the intruder alarms in the society's trading groups, as well as doing PAT tests, and running an in-house cash-in-transit business. :D It would be a good idea, if only Sunwin didn't charge such ridiculous prices for everything they do! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back