A moron replaced my water/heating timer..help

On the back of the programmer, switch 5 should be in the 'down' position.
That is all you need to change.

I just changed this, the boiler still does not come on when I tell the heating to fire up on the controller.

Did you press Reset after changing the switch?

Ok I did this. This only allows hot water and heating to be on the same timer. Ie one cannot come on without the other. Is this all we have on this system?

Sponsored Links
You cannot have heating on without hot water.

Am I confusing language here?

When I say "hot water" I mean fill up a tank with hot water so it can come out of the hot water tap. When I say central heating, I mean make the radiators hot.

So if powering up the heating means also ensuring hot water comes out of the hot taps, fine. However, if there are times of the day I do not wish to make the house hot, but do want hot liquid to come out of the tap, is my only choice to -not- have the heating on at all?

I'd appreciate a bit less ****-ishness to be honest folks. I very much appreciate people taking the time to reply, but constantly reminding me that I'm a complete layman at this via the tone of the posts is a bit ****ty, considering I'm only doing this because my grandfather doesn't want to pay anyone else after being stung by cowboys. I'm the guy in the middle, wanting to make the best of a bad job. I've already explained why I can't drop 60+ an hour on a spark or a plumber to come and have a look because his hourly rate is my weekly pay for making sure an old man isn't sitting in his own **** and **** for too long.

Thanks.

These are your options:
a. Hot water only
b. Heating and hot water.

There are no other choices.
Heating only requires that the pipework is modified and an additional motorised valve is installed, and the wiring completely changed - assuming that the rest of the system is suitable for this modification.

Sponsored Links
These are your options:
a. Hot water only
b. Heating and hot water.

There are no other choices.
Heating only requires that the pipework is modified and an additional motorised valve is installed, and the wiring completely changed - assuming that the rest of the system is suitable for this modification.

OK thanks for this. That's fine, what I was trying to establish is there not a way to adjust the timer so that hot water comes on and central heating does not, without disabling the central heating altogether, leaving me with only manual control? Changing the timers just makes them match each other.

Suggest a little attitude readjustment fella. Your posts are not totally clear.

If DIP 5 is down. try swapping 3 and 4 around. Something is opening your heating zone valve.

I have never used that particular programmer, but it is inevitable that altering the heating times would also change the hot water times to match.

However altering the hot water time to cover a period outside of the heating times should then allow the hot water to be on without the heating.

As an example, you should be able to have:
Hot water on 8am
Heating on 9am
Heating off 10 am
Hot water off 11am.

Suggest a little attitude readjustment fella. Your posts are not totally clear.

If DIP 5 is down. try swapping 3 and 4 around. Something is opening your heating zone valve.

If I am coming across as an arse, I don't mean to be. I'm not a heating engineer and as I said I appreciate people trying to help. Emboldening that central heating needs hot water just makes me feel like a child, since I know this, I'm fully aware that radiators fill up with hot water.

The situation currently:

On the controller if I hit +1hr on the heating, the HW light also lights up, which according to the feedback in this thread, is expected because the hot water system needs to be active in order for central heating to heat up. Great.

If I hit +1hr on the hot water system the CH does not light up and from what I can tell the radiators do not get hot, which is great and as I'd expect.

My last query, after which I promise I'll just lurk and read and not post for a long time, is that with this controller (if anyone knows) am I stuck with having both systems on an identical timer or is it possible to set it up for the hot water and heating to come on at different times? I know the hot water will come on with the heating, what I mean is I'm trying to say, have the CH come on between 9 and 11 and -only- the hot water to come on between 3 and 4. From the feedback on the panel, the timers remain identical regardless of what I set. If I'm stuck with this, OK, I'm just trying to clarify that nothing else is set incorrectly. I can take a snap of the switches on the rear if it helps?

You can have the hot water on it's own at different times to the heating.

"Hot water only" should leave the grey control valve closed and therefore the rad circuit off.

You need to set the programme appropriately.

Ok after playing with the panel, hot water only does give what I need. The panel adjusts the hot water on/off time automatically to match a later or earlier CH time, which is what was bugging me. I've just tested setting heating on for 8am to 8:30 am, but hot water for 8am to 9am and it responded as I expected.

Thank you very much guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back