A new kitchen questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We will just after xmas be getting a new kitchen fitted but just after some advice about quality ....the one we have now is ok but past its sell by date and showing signs of wear but what ever one I get I want it to be good quality so where is the best company to get a supply/fit or I could just get it supplied and get somebody in ( friend of a relative,recommended ) to fit it , I have been told to stay away from BQ and also heard some for and against Hodwens but I need it first hand off you guys..I am not rockerfellar so i dont expect to be paying 25-30k just a good one but not something that fall apart after 12 months

Sponsored Links
Howdens have various quality kitchens on offer. We got ours four years ago. Oak fronts and 18mm carcases. Fitted by a mate in the Trade and cost less than 8K to kit out a 18`x13`space, inc.ceramic sink. No problems and still looking good.

Benchmarx offer to undercut Howden, just got a quote of £1700 for a L shape kitchen 4.2m X 3.2 includes oven, hob and extractor unit.Basic white.

Sponsored Links
TBH, I have never known any kitchen unit installation to "fall apart" on its own or as a result of poor quality units

Everything is fixed together and its solid and can't fall apart.

It is the people using it that do the damage

If you get any modern 18mm carcase then it will be fine. There is nothing wrong with B&Q units, and I dare say nor Howdens

its just like buying a bentley or a mondeo, both will do the job but obviously you pay for a better quality finish and components.
Virtually all kitchen carcass suppliers these days use a solid carcass and its unusual to see the old day of the hardboard backs and 12 -15mm carcassing without adjustable legs.

In all honesty a good kitchen fitter can make or break any job. Even a very expensive kitchen can look poor quality if badly fitted.
I would be looking to get a self employed kitchen fitter recommended by someone before looking at paying a companies own installation service (the fitters will get a cut, but the company will take a large chunk of it!)

B & Q Cabinets are actually quite strong.

They have 2 ranges, the IT range and the range designed by the ficticious Mr Cooke and Mr Lewis.
The latter are not bad, and price is OK when in the sale.
In any case its a good idea to seal any chipboard edges and strengthen the units with some extra timber if you think it needs it.
We looked at howdens (friend got an account) and did not like any of them.
Simon.

Even the I.T range are decent and provided they are put together and fitted correctly they will last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back