a new plaster board ceiling

yes but why bodge it when you can do it right in the first place, if you paint over rust it looks alright but you dont do it.

Sponsored Links
yes but why bodge it when you can do it right in the first place, if you paint over rust it looks alright but you dont do it.

maybe look at other countries that seem to do very well with plasterboard walls only and have done for many years..just because you have one way in the UK to do walls,does not mean it is the only way.. expand your knowledge then complain..

ive forgot more than you know, what i was talking about is the best way to do it are you a builder...

Sponsored Links
this is supposed to be a site when one diyer asks others for help and advice, not a site for builders moan at diyers. to get that we would all go to our local merchants

well all the major building firms, shop fitters, office fitters and other countries use drylining (with or without skim) but you still keep moaning.

what is the best way then? three coat on bricks and laths on studs and ceilings?

previous contributions on this tread and others have been knocked down because you know everything about everything, but will not say how things should be done, just how it shouldn't. and you give no explainations. are we just supposed to take your word for it that you know what you are talking about?

when one post tried to put a balanced arguement for drylining complete with pros and cons you tried to insult saying you could tell he isn't a builder. personal comments of this kind are reserved for the intellectually bancrupt.

when you can put a case for your preferred method of wall coating without resorting to "I know and you don't" and personal jibes perhaps some of us will be prepared to think it an insult to not be a builder. for the mean time, I'm with the person who could reason his case and wasn't even trying to support it, just explain what he knew. and he was brave enough to put his name to the post

if you read the posts properly you would see that i said by all means use drylining but i would skim it because it makes a better job,and as for your diy most posts on this site are replied to by tradesmen or hadnt you noticed, would you take the advice of some bloke who new a little bit about electrics telling you how to wire a two gang two way switch up,no me neither.stick to putting shelves up....

Okay, here's a dumb question from a novice. I have a modern house with plasterboard ceiling.
I want to screw a lightweight fitting into it (arm of a light unit).

Is there an easy way to see where the beams run? as i'd prefer to screw through it into the wood.

Buy or borrow a Studwork/Cable detector.They are available for around £15 and will be the safest way of knowing of any hidden cables or pipes in any joist you find.

my house also is new but the decorator did not do any skimming or filling and just painted the plasterboard an i love it .oh yeh the corgi registered gas installer did the painting (if you can **** u can paint!)knock the house down and employ a decent plasterer/dry liner.

drylining boards what you paint are special boards with a chamfer on the edges so you can use filler to cover the join then you paint!!!.ordinary drylining boards you SKIM with PLASTER then paint...hope this clears this up because no one seems to know what their talking about...:eyes

they are not that special. Even Q & B sell them. they are called tapered edge boards (TE) and the other ones are square edge (SE).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back