A Nice Looking Plug

Why bother with nice plugs when you have filthy sockets?

Lipstick on a pig.
Yeh - guilty, I have let it go because I knew I was going to have a big kitchen refurb, going to swap the for stainless steel ones.
Which brings me back to my point. You can get all manor of nice to your taste sockets - spend a fortune to make it look nice and then you have a nasty 20p plug in it.:mad:

Sponsored Links
Yeh - guilty, I have let it go because I knew I was going to have a big kitchen refurb, going to swap the for stainless steel ones.
Which brings me back to my point. You can get all manor of nice to your taste sockets - spend a fortune to make it look nice and then you have a nasty 20p plug in it.:mad:
Protip:

Order n+1 decorative sockets.

When one goes up in smoke because they look nice but they are usually chinese junk, you find yourself scouring the web for a spare!

I’m not sure what a socket and fuse is, but what about a fused connection unit and hard wire it in?

Sponsored Links
I’m not sure what a socket and fuse is, but what about a fused connection unit and hard wire it in?
A socket and fuse (a socket say on the wall and a fuse in the plug (a.k.a plugtop) that is plugged into the socket).
If that socket itself is fed from a Switched Fused Connection Unit (commonly, wrongly called a spur) then you would have two fuses inline.
If instead of a SFCU you had a DP (Double Pole) switch it would avoid confusion as to which fuse (plug or SFCU or both) has blown.
If you retain the plug to the appliance on the flex and simply plug it in and the unit (SFCU or DP switch) above the worktop means you can isolate it then if you need to move the appliance out a bit to unplug it then it should be easier than disconnecting the appliance flex from the SFCU

Look how nice this looks, smooth moulded lines - all the ratings and writing on the inside. Loverly.
There has to be a
View attachment 324944View attachment 324945View attachment 324946View attachment 324947
Why cant someone come up with a nice moulded plug with push connectors or something. Like how these work https://www.quickwire.co.uk/product/quickwire-switch-load-junction-box/
I suppose someone will eventually use wago types connectors inside a plug

AFAIK there used to be a plug with tab style connectors for the cables. I might even have one somewhere. I must go and have a look!

Found it
20231212_173215.jpg20231212_173227.jpg20231212_173252.jpg20231212_173303.jpg20231212_173310.jpg20231212_173559.jpg20231212_173624.jpg

the red circle on the bottom is the cover lock, the cover slides up and off, but you can turn it with your finger! and the cables aclamped by the u shaped holders as seen in the last pic. havent got a clue when I got this or where it came from

Found it
View attachment 325006View attachment 325007View attachment 325008View attachment 325009View attachment 325010View attachment 325011View attachment 325012

the red circle on the bottom is the cover lock, the cover slides up and off, but you can turn it with your finger! and the cables aclamped by the u shaped holders as seen in the last pic. havent got a clue when I got this or where it came from
Well, it's certainly 'different' ;)

Kind Regards, John

If you must have holes in the work top, then why not buy the moulded plug with flex, put flex through the work top then join to the appliance flex (chop off plug) with either inline connector, or some kind of plug/socket (thinking kettle lead/lawn mower connector - earthed).

Found it
View attachment 325006View attachment 325007View attachment 325008View attachment 325009View attachment 325010View attachment 325011View attachment 325012

OMFG I'd completely forgotten about those pieces of p155 poor unreliable and non compliant objet de parc

If you must have holes in the work top, then why not buy the moulded plug with flex, put flex through the work top then join to the appliance flex (chop off plug) with either inline connector, or some kind of plug/socket (thinking kettle lead/lawn mower connector - earthed).
I don't need to buy the flex as the dishwasher and washing machine already have a nice looking moulded plug on flex.
I do not have room in where they are to fit a fused spur (I know) and a socket under the worktop nor do I have room to fit the same in a nextdoor cabinet.
So would I be allowed to do that then electrical wise. Cut the appliance flex at a point that reaches under the worktop keeping the nice plug and then reconnect the two ends with a 3 pin connector like this
coure.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back