A reliable damp-proofing paint/liquid coating that does not require plastering/screeding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon, all. my detached garage sits below the ground level of the garden and acts as a retaining wall towards the rear of the building. This has resulted in some minor damp ingress during wetter times of the year (mostly at the internal corners).
I'm looking for a product that I can paint the affected walls with which will fully cure (not require plastering/screeding/etc), and help to prevent this damp from permeating to some degree.
I was looking at something similar to Bostik Aquaprufe, but after some further investigation it appears that this product would require some kind of covering once applied.
Anybody got any ideas/recommendations for something I can paint on and be done with? Colour is not a concern.]

Ta!

Sponsored Links
Do you use the garage to store your car?

I don't know the answer to your question, but the above may be relevant.

You could try run of the mill black jack, that's kind of aimed at this but as these types of coatings effectively form a waterproof barrier you need something to hold it against the wall, if the water pressure is too great it will merely blow it off the wall. Your waterproof barrier needs to be on the outside. You could look up products from the likes of Synthaprufe or RIW.

Sponsored Links
Dig out the garden along the sunken wall part and paint with bitumen.
That's the long term plan. I'm basically just looking for something that will keep the damp at bay for 6 months or so until I can excavate.

The issue will be locking in the damp if you paint the inside. If its just for a few months pva it.

Yes did my daughter's lean to bathroom wall with Blackjack a while ago. A couple of coats on the inside solved the problem - old cottage with exposed west facing wall and no cavity. I then attached battens and and plasterboard to cover it all up.

Why would he use a non waterproof one ?

Looking at the evo-stick waterproof PVA advisory note it says that floors must be damp proofed first.

15. All floors must have an effective damp proof membrane. Use EVO-STIK Evo-Bond Waterproof PVA as a primer where damp may be a problem.

It also goes on to say that it is not suitable as a primer for areas that are in constant contact with water. Perhaps they are using poetic licence when they use the term "waterproof".

Looking at the evo-stick waterproof PVA advisory note it says that floors must be damp proofed first.

15. All floors must have an effective damp proof membrane. Use EVO-STIK Evo-Bond Waterproof PVA as a primer where damp may be a problem.

It also goes on to say that it is not suitable as a primer for areas that are in constant contact with water. Perhaps they are using poetic licence when they use the term "waterproof".

I suspect 'water-resistant' would have been more accurate!

Thanks all for the input. The damp isn't particularly serious, really. I think I'm going to go with Zinsser Waterite for the short term until I can excavate around the rear of the building and DPM it from the outside.

I have never used Watertite but before you pay for it, I would recommend that you speak to the Zinsser customer services, they are pretty approachable.

until I can excavate.

Fill back your trench with cobbles or large pebbles which are free draining and do not support capillarity, due to large irregular gaps. Lead it away and downhill.

Gravel is not so good and can hold damp

Landscape membrane will prevent mud washing in and filling the gaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back