A Service Work Report on a Gas Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Gas Boiler - Concord wrs 255A Central - it's old yes, but it works perfectly and has done so for the past 27 years. Do I need a new boiler?
During a recent inspection the engineer was surprised how clean the boiler was inside the casing. Also the emmisions are 0.0007 - the checked chb (whatever that is) is BP = 13.4mb.
However on his report he wrote 'he recommended a new boiler due to
age, efficiency, parts availability.'
We have had our central heating appliances checked every year for the past 27 years - with the same company and have called out the engineers maybe - 5 times at the most with minor things such as a leaky radiator.
We do not consider that we need a new boiler. I don't want to buy a new boiler when this one works so well but his comments on the report make it difficult if we decide to move in the near future. Do you have any comments regarding the engineers report? I would appreciate your point of view.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is old, pretty innefficient but very reliable.

If you did sell then its certainly something a purchasor's surveyor would pick up and that will have a serious effect on the sale price. Perhaps £4000 because the perception is that a new boiler is expensive.

Fitting a new boiler just before selling is a very good idea because it can make a positive contribution to the price in excess of the cost.

So its up to you but if you are planning to sell soon I strongly recommend you do get a new boiler.

Tony

Hi Tony
Thanks for your reply. I am curious however why you mention that my boiler is inefficient?

regards Jack
ps can you suggest any boilers that sell at a reasonable price and are reliable?

The Worcester 12Ri or 18Ri are easy to fit and quite popular with installers at the moment and particularly are suitable for an open vented system.

Your boiler is perhaps only 55% to 65% efficient whereas the Worcester boiler above may be about 93%.

Tony

Sponsored Links
It's hideously inefficient, short on parts and a good 30 years old. Has to be about time to consider putting the old beast out of its misery. To be honest even in the last 10 years you have probably spent as much on extra fuel as it would have cost to put in something much more efficient and this is even more relevant with current high gas prices and more efficient condensing boilers. Plus of course the points Tony made.

at 27 years the boiler have done it's time. the only thing is the boilers you get today will not last as long and will break down more.

Thanks for all your replies. I will take into consideration the advice you have given me.
She still looks quite good (the boiler) as the housing was replaced about ten years ago.
I spoke to a Technician at Corgi this afternoon and after explaining my problem he said 'if the boilers working ok than why buy a new one?'

I spoke to a Technician at Corgi this afternoon and after explaining my problem he said 'if the boilers working ok than why buy a new one?'

The same generally goes for everything like cars and tvs but most folks replace them at even less than 30 year intervals and the replacement of those doesn't even save you a mint.

Hi, I have the same boiler (well in the house I just sold), really reliable, never had one problem in the 7 years I lived there. Had it serviced every year, and yes I had a case seal fitted last month, so they still do the parts.

Probably is seriously inefficient. but a damn good solid boiler for it's age.

there is a lot to be said about changing a boiler before its broke you know

like doing it in the summer so you arent freezing your doodahs off.

theres only 21 parts currently listed for this boiler. admittedly its that simple there were probably 22 listed when it was new but some parts are now special order only.

dont be a whiner when it terminally fails in january :D

river";p="712630 said:
Hi, I have the same boiler (well in the house I just sold), really reliable, never had one problem in the 7 years I lived there. Had it serviced every year, and yes I had a case seal fitted last month, so they still do the parts.

Probably is seriously inefficient. but a damn good solid boiler for it's age.[Hi River, I was interested to hear you were able to get the case seal in oct 07 or so. Can you give me some ideas on where to get hold of one. I'm in Ringwood, near Bournemouth and Southampton in the south. Cheers, Woollaton,/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back