a very simple electrics query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Often in my house, in two of the bedrooms, when I plug somethingh in white light flashes from the socket. What should I do to fix this? Am i liable to be killed????

Sponsored Links
Turn the sockets off at the switch before plugging in. Make sure you're using modern plugtops with black sheath halfway on each live pin. If you're concerned, ask an electrician to take a look.

Any time a circuit is made or broken, either by using a switch or inserting a plug into a socket, there is a spark. It is the electrons jumping across the gap. It is normally harmless, nad normally invisible. The only time this may cause trouble is on very high voltage circuits where the current can arc across large gaps and cause major damage. Thankfully, this wont happen with 230 volts. ;)

Good quality plugs and sockets and switches will help! ;)

Thanks for the replies. The plug sockets are very, very old so there are no on/off switches.
I can plug things in withoout fear now though, so thanks

Aren't interent forums great

Sponsored Links
The plug sockets are very, very old so there are no on/off switches.
If the sockets are old, the wiring behind may also be as old. I wouldn't be so easily pleased about your installation - old wiring causes fires.

If you wish, post a couple of pictures here on the forum and we can tell you an approximate age and give a recommendation. Useful pictures are of the fusebox and the area around it (any other devices and wiring), and one of these very old sockets.

I can plug things in withoout fear now though,
not so fast
The plug sockets are very, very old so there are no on/off switches.
it apears you missed this bit:
Good quality plugs and sockets and switches will help!
and make sure you understood this bit:
Make sure you're using modern plugtops with black sheath halfway on each live pin.

and yep as has been said above, post some pictures!

What the boys have said Jimmy is valuable advice, i had VERY VERY old circuitry in our house when we moved to Bradford, the first thing we did (after new heating) was completely re-wire the house.

Now I'm not saying you're in danger, but old socket tops will give the 'youngest' age of the wiring in your place it may well be worth just having it looked at even a periodic inspection would be worth while, even if it does show up nothing!!

At least you will have peace of mind, or, be fully aware of what may need doing.

Any help just ask thats what we're here to do :)

Pics would be a great help, could i suggest of your Consumer unit (cover off if you are confident enough) a picture of your sockets and light switches and again if you feel confident enough the wiring behind one light switch and one socket :)

They are three pin sockets.

The largest load I plug in would be my PC and printer, my Mac or a rather unweidly and large stack stereo system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back