A Waste Of Money?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7512586.stm

Scientists hope to see new particles in the debris of these collisions, revealing fundamental new insights into the nature of the cosmos and how it came into being.
The most powerful physics experiment ever built, the LHC will re-create the conditions just after the Big Bang.

No mention in the BBC Report of the cost of this project, but I am at a loss as to finding out “how the cosmos came into being” is going to benefit the world. Re-creating the conditions just after the Big Bang isn’t going to help us if there is another Big Bang because I don’t think we will be around. And anyone lucky(?) enough to be around will have a job finding the reports from these spend-thrift scientists.

Does anyone else think that the money and brain power would have been better used trying to find new forms of energy to benefit the world when carbon fuels are exhausted?

Sponsored Links
Isn't the idea to find/create new elements and such-like.

New forms of energy may come out of it too. There is more to it that that bbc article mentions

Plus, if chased by a Teminator babe, then this is the place to run to

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7512586.stm

Scientists hope to see new particles in the debris of these collisions, revealing fundamental new insights into the nature of the cosmos and how it came into being.
The most powerful physics experiment ever built, the LHC will re-create the conditions just after the Big Bang.

No mention in the BBC Report of the cost of this project, but I am at a loss as to finding out “how the cosmos came into being” is going to benefit the world. Re-creating the conditions just after the Big Bang isn’t going to help us if there is another Big Bang because I don’t think we will be around. And anyone lucky(?) enough to be around will have a job finding the reports from these spend-thrift scientists.

Does anyone else think that the money and brain power would have been better used trying to find new forms of energy to benefit the world when carbon fuels are exhausted?
Where's you're curiousity? Besides this kind of science is trying to find out more about the basic laws that govern the way everything works, which could well lead to other breakthroughs in the areas you're talking about.

I bet people laughed at Faraday too while he waved his wires and magnets about --

"Wow, look at that. You can make a meter pointer move. Why don't you just use a battery like everybody else you plonker" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fast forward to presnt day ---

"The TV's gone off!"

"Don't worry; they'll be changing the battery at the power station. It'll be back on soon."

Nuff said! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
This is going to cause a devastating reaction & the end is nigh...

we're doomed I tell you... :p

“Most physicists believe the risk of a cataclysm lies in the realms of science fiction. But there have been fears about the possibility of a mini-black hole - produced in the collider - swelling so that it gobbles up the Earth.”

Injury lawyers 4u, Accidents-direct and several other ‘No Win, No Fee Ambulance-chasers’ are preparing legal claims “just in case” but they don’t know who will still be around to serve them on. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back