A whiter shade of Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Yes...a mob pulled a statue down after the local people decided it should stay..Lets not bother with debate and votes then..
Well since you're apparently a fan of debates then answers are kind of an important part of that...

"So slave trading/murder and subjugation of another race is ok by you?

Yes or no!"

I say no.
What do you say?

Pretty powerful stuff from Priti.

Is Priti too blue to be black...
Thanks Bodd,

And right there we have it intentionally or not blacks can be racist too...

Just watching a black lady(Jamelia) on bbc reply about this and insist Priti is part of the systemic racism in our country....

Last edited:
Yes...a mob pulled a statue down after the local people decided it should stay..Lets not bother with debate and votes then..
?
OK, you're highlighting my post but not discussing what I actually wrote. Hey ho.

Anyway, yes, we should have a debate in an ideal world. An ideal world that also doesn't have injustice in any form - including racism, sexism etc..

Life sucks for you Durham dunnit? Lol.

Sponsored Links
It's not erasing history, it's about not having for example a prestigious university paying homage to a vile person.
By your reasoning statues of saddam and adolf should have remained, but with plaques saying they were 'naughty naughty boys'!

I did say I would be quite comfortable with statues left in place on the condition that the narrative was corrected, by today's standards and present comprehension.
I didn't say they should remain.
If there is a discussion about whether they should or shouldn't remain, that would be my compromise: that the history is written in today's standards and with current comprehension about the repercussions.
I have had a subsequent thought:
If the statues were left in place, with the history and narrative updated to today's standards and with full comprehension of the repercussions of the 'statue's' (wait for someone to be trivial :whistle: ) actions, attitudes and behaviour, would it not speak volumes about the people, authorities and organisations that sought to honour those people with their effigies?

I suspect, that with that thought, those organisations, authorities and people would choose to remove the statues themselves.

So slave trading/murder and subjugation of another race is ok by you?
Not ok at all...Neither is pulling down statues...
Over to you...Yes or no..Is it ok to destroy any public property one takes offence to?.Slave trading was legal when that guy was doing it!!..He was not a criminal at the time....Do we pull all statues down everytime society moves on??

Not ok at all...Neither is pulling down statues...
Over to you...Yes or no..Is it ok to destroy any public property one takes offence to?.Slave trading was legal when that guy was doing it!!..He was not a criminal at the time....
When you are young and lacking wisdom you may well want to throw the toys out and be an anarchist for the day we've all been there, but then you realise it's a stupid thing to do...

When you are young and lacking wisdom you may well want to throw the toys out and be an anarchist for the day we've all been there, but then you realise it's a stupid thing to do...

conflation

protesting about a statue that represents slavery is not anarchy.

any public property
conflation

nobody suggests 'any'

Do we pull all statues down everytime society moves on??
statue of Jimmy Saville was removed when it was found out what he was.

and again nobody is suggesting 'all statues'

Sometimes pivotal moments happen, they do so because democratic means doesnt work.

I dont condone vandalism, but I can see there are times when criminal acts force through change.

sadly all protest are marred as they get taken over by violent thugs using it as an excuse for trouble.

rights and wrongs of what the statue represented aside - we can not have mob rule in this country, those responsible need prosecuted.

It is erasing history.

Not erasing history, it's making history.

Many people in Bristol have campaigned for years to get rid of that statue. Should have come down years ago.

Statues are there to celebrate people. Just because the bloke make a load of money doesn't make him somebody we should look up to. Better to look down on him, at the bottom of the river.

We should also destroy all Roman statues, remains, historic buildings - obliterate them. Most prolific slave traders in history. I'm affronted that we put up monuments to Romans who may have enslaved my very ancient ancestors.

:ROFLMAO:

conflation

nobody suggests 'any'

statue of Jimmy Saville was removed when it was found out what he was.

and again nobody is suggesting 'all statues'

Sometimes pivotal moments happen, they do so because democratic means doesnt work.

I dont condone vandalism, but I can see there are times when criminal acts force through change.

sadly all protest are marred as they get taken over by violent thugs using it as an excuse for trouble.
Jimmy Saville is a poor example, he had seriously broken the law whilst alive within modern times, and as far as I am aware the statue was removed by the council who by and large are an elected body to act on our behalf, they would be accountable.

Without doubt Saville knew what he was doing was wrong. Did Colston know or even consider what he was doing as wrong? 350 years ago was a very different era. As far as I know he was even backed by the royals at that time.

Not erasing history, it's making history.

Many people in Bristol have campaigned for years to get rid of that statue. Should have come down years ago.

Statues are there to celebrate people. Just because the bloke make a load of money doesn't make him somebody we should look up to. Better to look down on him, at the bottom of the river.

Jonbey things offend me there's lots of places and symbolic things i would like to shove in the hardon collider and use i am offended as an excuse.

The charmer says it right here

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/08/keir-starmer-edward-colston-bristol-statue-wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back