Abortion America

Whether you agree with these causes or not, this is why people still 'fight' for freedoms that are apparently already in place.

Why don't the gays shut up, they have their equality now!
Why don't the blacks and brown people shut up, they have their equality now!
Why don't disabled people shut up, they have their equality now!
Why don't women shut up, they have their equality now!

It's because freedoms we take for granted can still be revoked depending on who's in power.

Sponsored Links
It's because freedoms we take for granted can still be revoked depending on who's in power.
Indeed...

Some basic humans rights are about to be removed in the UK...

Because politicians (mainly on the right wing) only wish to concentrate rights for themselves and their mates...

Sadly they always deploy the 'divide and rule' tactic, and get a large percentage of the population to believe it's all the fault of 'others'...

In the full knowledge that those who support the politicians won't discover that it applies to them as well until it's too late...

The consequences of a dumbed down electorate!

They were talking about this on a news prog last night. I can't recall the specifics, however there is apparently a law (not sure if across America or only certain states) that means if something is illegal in your home state but not in another state, but you travel to the other state to conduct the activity that's illegal in your home state, you can still be prosecuted.

Like I say, you're telling me middle/upper classes where a daughter gets pregnant won't find a way to circumvent this? It's the lower classes with lack of access to $$$ that will suffer.
All true. I'd love Bezos and Musk et al to openly put up a billion to legally circumvent this... Totally rub their noses in it.

Just like our good friends across the small lake, Ireland as advised by someone that lived close to the clinic used to come to England in a van to get abortions on a Monday morning.
I recall seeing a van now and then with young ladies in park up outside the private clinic. This was 30+ years ago or so I'm not sure if they have managed to move with the times.

Therefore, those wanting an abortion could easily move to the next state and then back home

can you get an abortion in ireland these days?

chin, chins
must dash
Abortion in Ireland is legal and until the northern Irish parliament was suspended, was easier than in the North.
you have to understand that many states in the USA are bigger than the entire uk.
  • Alaska is equal to 7.05 UKs.
  • Texas is equal to 2.86 UKs.
  • California is equal to 1.74 UKs.
  • Montana is equal to 1.56 UKs.
  • New Mexico is equal to 1.29 UKs.
  • Arizona is equal to 1.21 UKs.
  • Nevada is equal to 1.17 UKs.
  • Colorado is equal to 1.11 UKs.
many people requiring abortions will not be able to afford interstate travel.
Plus some states have made laws that make having an out of state abortion illegal.
I fail to understand how it can be legal to determine retrospective offences done outside a jurisdiction.
i guess That they could say that anyone under 21, in say Florida, who has drunk a beer in the UK, can be prosecuted

Sponsored Links
Unsurprisingly Boris Johnson has said he is disappointed at the overturning of the Roe v Wade ruling.
I am not suprised that Boris is disappointed at the decision to overturn.
Unrestricted abortion in the UK has probably saved him a fortune in child support.

Last edited:
This isn't the only state to do so, however various states are banning abortion even if the victim (I use that word intentionally) has been raped or subject to incest. In 2022, this beggars belief.

At this rate, we'll have some states lobbying for the reintroduction of segregation and an outright ban on all religious beliefs except Christianity ...

This is a real example of how hard fought for freedoms can be overturned. There are already rumblings they might set their sights on contraception next and even gay marriage, although I can't find the link on the latter.
The judgement used a line of logic that said that Roe was invalid and it shouldn't apply. It then referenced a few other 'controversial' judgements that paved the way for same sex marriage, anti discrimination and so on which used the same logic that underpinned Roe and said how they won't revoke those judgements

In the next paragraph they essentially said that they other judgements could clearly be revisited because of their judgement above.

Oddly they ignored the judgement that ensured that interracial marriage was legal, which used the exact same logic, but I'm sure that's not related to the fact that the author is married to a member of another race. Any rights that they rely on and think are valuable are of course completely different.

So far the court has said that Abortion is not a right, but there's nothing forcing it to stop there. Now Roe has been overturned there is nothing stopping the Christian fundamentalists trying to ban it everywhere.

It is the next logical step after all.

Musk has gone full Republican recently. I wouldn't put money on it.
You're right; he's considering an endorsement for the Florida FickWit, de Santis. Considering how many people buy Tesla's and vote Democrat in California, it may not be the brightest idea he's ever had.

All lives matter Notch, including the unborn.
Best tell that to the republic of Ireland...

They have a far more progressive approach than the backward lot in N.I.

Interestingly a lot of the legal argument revolves around the UN finding against the UK...

Do you suppose the UN will sanction the US in the same way?

Sponsored Links
Back