About to put in shower any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planing to put in a shower and new consumer unit. I am getting a 9.5kW shower and have already bought the MK CU with built in RCD from screwfix (The one going for 68 quid). I have bought an extra 45 amp MCB for the shower. I will be using 10 mm twin and earth cable in grey bought from wilkos (seems to have not a single copper core but a few strands to make up the 10 mm (Is this normal?). Also bought 45A isolator switch

Apart from notr getting in a qualified electrician (I have a mate who is knows his stuff) am I on the right lines with the equipment I have bought? I have just been reading about RCBO's but was under the impression the CU I just bought which has built in RCD is adequate. Second, do we earth bond shower pipe or is this already done by connecting back down to CU?
Why do I need to eartch bond shower if it is already earthed to CU?

Any pointers and dont say get in electrician? i was quoted £800 for a CU replacement only and another 350 for laying a shower cable. The CU is about 4-5 metres from where shower will be.

Sponsored Links
You are on the right lines with the stuff you have - if your mate knows his stuff then it may be advisable to have him do the work. It is quite normal for 10mm² to be stranded. A CU with an RCD is adequate - an RCBO is a combined RCD/MCB in one unit. The bonding you are doing in the bathroom is not earth bonding, it is equipotential bonding. You should bond all extraneous parts such as metallic pipework, building structure etc to the protective conductor of all circuits supplying class 1 & 2 electrical equipment within the zones of a bathroom. You should also note if you live in England and Wales this work is notifiable to LABC under part p of the building regs. Also, see the WIKI at the top of the page.

That seems a steep price you were quoted*. Did you just get the one quote? Best practise is to get 3 quotes and go with the middle one (or the guy you felt most trustworthy of)

*though there may be other issues we cant see here, such as bonding and circuit issues. Maybe it was JohnD who quoted and wanted to fill it with RCBOs. :LOL:

Me no like MK RCD's : sometimes in a S/L board, they are only 63A. With a 9,5 shower, this is not much...

Sponsored Links
Ok Thanks. I have 100 Main swith and 80A 30 mA RCD .
As for the equipotential bonding class1 2 etc, I didnt understand a word you just said! Can i have that in laymans, just curious. Dont worry I wont be doing the work!

Had a few quotes but just for CU replacement is was not cheap for any.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back