About to start garage conversion, but found a puddle of water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to inspect the garage this evening just before I go and order the timber tomorrow morning and found something quite concerning - quite a fair amount of water/moist in the rear corner of the garage. I can't see where it's coming from and given the amount present (see attachments), I'm not sure it can be explained by water ingress, surely?

Can anyone suggest where this may have come from and whether this is a typical appearance of water coming from something external?

20200318_203120.jpg
20200318_203104.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is there a path or something on the other side.

My dad's old garage used to do the same thing. The path outside always puddled and had poor water run off

have a look outside. For a downpipe, or a gutter (or a tap or pipe).

Where is the external ground level in relation to your garage floor? Higher, lower? Is there a puddle?

As the water is visible both above and below the DPC it could well be running or dripping down the wall.

When did it last rain in your district?

The other side is the neighbour's garden so will need to try and have a look tomorrow.

It's not clear in the images, but there was a bit of mud that were the remnants of some mess we cleaned up a couple of weeks ago, you can see this on the left side next to the wall. I hope it's the mud and the worms that have been festering in it and the cold temperature which have let this moist to linger.

The ground appears to be lower than the garage floor but I may have to confirm this; the garage isn't level with my own garden (I need to step up into the garage from the garden)

I have tried to remove the mud as much as I can and placed some old towels to try and insulate it a bit to see if the patch remains tomorrow.

I've only got this week to start the conversion, so even if I do find anything on the other side of the wall (from what I can see there's no tap, just their turf) I will start at the other end of the garage.

I really hope it's nothing serious

Sponsored Links
That surely hasn't just happened, and has existed for as long as the garage has?

Anyway, when you do the conversion, the horizontal and vertical DPM you install will deal with any damp.

I laid a small triangular patio next to my garage once. First one I ever did and I laid the crazy paving on a 5” bed of cement. Made a nice job of it using a spirit level too. Unfortunately I must have had a brain fart and had the fall going the wrong way! As a result, in heavy rain I get a lovely puddle in that corner of the garage. It would take an atom breaker to get that patio up again so I just stand anything in that corner on some 4”x2” timbers.

I'll have a look at what's going on on the other side tomorrow, but I may not see much. I'm not sure if there anything I can do, however; and as that side of the wall is on my neighbours land, I'm trying to refrain from making multiple visits over.

I'm concerend that the amount of water ingress is too much for the DPM is designed to handle. In other words, although the DPM would do it's job in keep the water out, is it sensible to continue with the conversion and expect that there's probably going to be damp in some parts of the garage as its a single leaf construction?

I ordered the materials this morning, timber and insulation arriving tomorrow. I also bought a 450mm DPC to sit the battens on, as I wanted something extremely wide to ride up the wall a fair amount beyond the DPC within the wall structure and also overlap the DPM that will be going down when I start the flooring.

It has been raining today for a number of hours (not heavy showers) and the puddle doesn't seem to be have gotten any worse after I soaked up and cleaned the mud away last night. It's not like the puddle in the original image has re-formed following rain, but I should probably expect that the area will have some form of damp to it.

As the width is 450mm I'm going to install it that most of the the membrane is up the wall beyond the brick's DPC, and overlap it with the floor DPM so there will be a continuous barrier. I bought a roll of Cromar Vent 3 for the stud-wall membrane to line the wall with.

I'm reposting to this thread because I'm at a stage where I'll be plaster boarding, but before I could I noticed some damp on what should be the dry side of the DPM. Very confused. I ran the DPM about 200mm up the wall but it seems as though water is trickling and sitting where the timber sits? That's my only explanation. See images.

I may have to pull the stud work away from the wall and see the situation. Not too concerned if the damp continues but it cannot come in contact with the timber even if its treated.
20200628_204253.jpg
20200628_204300.jpg
20200628_204335.jpg
20200628_204349.jpg

That's totally wrong

Where is the DPM - the DPM that should go over the floor and up the walls around 300mm and with the wall DPM overlapping it?

The actual full floor DPM hasn't been put down yet. This black DPM is just for the stud work. I really don't know if the DPM used for the stud work is wide enough to go up the wall as much as 300mm and still adequately sit underneath the battens.

Dont know what you have done there but the dpm goes down before the stud work gets fixed.
Black stuff is dpc.

Dont know what you have done there but the dpm goes down before the stud work gets fixed.
Black stuff is dpc.

We didn't put the DPM down first, as we were intending to over lap it with the DPC. Does it make much of a difference?

I've also found that the DPM is no were near as hardwearing as the DPC here so as we would've been working and walking all over it across the floor it just would've been worn down and compromised.

When we get to starting the floor, we will put the DPM under the DPC tails to have a continuous barrier. The issue here is how the water got in contact with the battens, and how it can be remedied

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back