1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

AC - Ford Galaxy

Discussion in 'Car Repairs / Maintenance' started by paulfoel, 24 May 2018.

1. paulfoel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Had it re-gassed a year ago.

The other day stopped working. Then it started again and has been off/on ever since. Display shows AC on. Also, when Iturn it off I can hear it starting every time.

Took it to halfords. They said machine showed ZERO. But surely it would work not all if this was the case?

They want me to take it back tomorrow so they can use nitrgoen to check for leaks?

2. DaveHerns

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As far as I know Halfords only use those diy aerosol kits for their A/C refilling service. I can't see them having nitrogen to use. Is one of the pipes from your A/C compressor cold when it's running? If so, it's working, unless the pressure is borderline when I suppose it could be intermittent.

3. Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I guess the only thing you can do is to have the system re gassed, together with a dye that fluoresces under UV light - great when looking for leaks.
    Some firms like Kwik Fit will fill the system and if it leaks out within 24 hours or so, you aren't charged.
    John :)

4. paulfoel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Halfords deffo had a large machine with terminal on and printer to do the job.

5. DaveHerns

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Isn't it illegal to refill a system if you know it's leaking because of pollution laws? That's why nitrogen is used. I assume you can still use a dye .

6. Belle427

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The only time I would ever use kwik fit is for the purpose stated above, I’ve had my money back when it didn’t work out.
    Great systems when they are working but seem to be a pain after major components have been replaced and the system has been opened.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dennis plamer

Thanks Received:
    United States
    As per my opinion don't waste your time and directly visit at service centre to avoid any damage, So that it does not get worse further. Sometimes it happen due to voltage fluctuation or temperature inside the room reached at level you set but not regularly this happen .