AC Split Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

I am a qualified Electrician and am looking at installing my own AC unit. I have found one online that is a Pre Gassed - Easy fit - Split unit.

I am wondering if anyone has fitted these before, I spoke with the lad who was going to fit it as I originally paid for fitting, this was through Aircon Direct. He mention nowadays they are just plug and play so I have decided to give it a go.

I can attach everything to the wall and attach all pipes but a few questions.

1) The internal unit has a screw on the thin pipe, when I unscrew this it released gas at a HIGH pressure. I read online this is nitrogen to keep the unit free from condensation and water when storing. An that I have to remove this obvs to install the 5m pipes. Is this correct? Or have I broken the unit removing this.

2) My pipework is 5m long, I have screwed this onto the internal unit and drilled through the wall and taken this outside. The pipework being 5m is very long, I only req about 2-3m. Can I just simply cut this down? OR is the unit Pre Gassed with 5m of gas (If that makes sense) so if I cut it down will I need to lose some gas? If so how?

as above, if I cant cut it down, ill just have to coil it up behind the external unit.

3) If I can cut the pipe down, how do I go about doing this. I can buy a pipe cutter but is the end flared? So that the nut spins but doesn't fall of etc? Or am I best to cut the pipe down leaving the end on then connect the 2 pipes back together?

4) I've read online about pressure testing before releasing the gas from the external unit into the internal unit. I've also read a lot of American sites saying no need. If I have tightened all the internal connections and external connections nice and tight do you think this is needed? If it leaks gas, is this gas harmful? If not, does it have a smell so I can smell its leaking?

Thanks alot for your time and help!

Appreciate it

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The pipes can't be shortened by most people. They need a new flared connection to be formed and seal. The tools to do that are unlikely to be cheap. Joining the high pressure pipes is by brazing not normal plumbing soldering techniques.

The pipes need all air removed with vacuum pump to remove any water vapour, some will flush with nitrogen, too. Plus test meters for leaks / pressure holding checks if doing the job properly. Kit to do that also not cheap. This is done by the use of multi-way connector ports that the lines connect to at the outdoor unit.

Gas in modern units is likely R32 = highly flammable.

I suspect you may have released the refrigerant by opening the screw? Whether that's to the pipework indoor unit or to atmosphere ???

F-gas technicians strongly advised to do the job properly, in the correct order - or to check over what you've done (if you can find one willing to do so).

Sponsored Links
Hence why I'm posting here. I've seen so many posts and videos about it. An am asking for help from someone who has done it before. I have booked myself on a F-Gas course. I want to install the unit ready for when I complete the course? Simple?

I want to install the unit ready for when I complete the course?
Would it not be sensible to complete the course before doing any installation work ?

I had a neighbour who was a qualified and experienced refrigeration engineer employed by a large food processing company. At the time we were considering a DIY water sourced heat pump system. His advice included details of the hazards that heat pump installers faced when installing the systems,

I mean I am just wanting to hear from someone who has installed this system. If that is not you then there is no need to post. Thanks for your time.

:eek::Read The Flipping Manual::eek:

All the ones I have read (other brands and even this one) are quite clear that the outdoor unit contains enough gas for X indoor unit(s) of appropriate rating(s) and up to Y metres of pipework in total. Additional metre-age of pipes requiring nn grammes of additional refrigerant (etc.,.etc.,.).

You're doing this in the wrong order. Course first, then armed with the information and training, procure decent kit to do the install: probably including the A/C brand (that is a very budget brand).

PS I'd question the 13A fuse rating suggested in that manual; probably supply via a 16 or 20A rcbo rather than a fused spur if all three are likely to bused for heating.

You are very unlikely to meet many self installers of F-gas equipment --- but google for such people. Try MSE forums as I think I've seen one or two on there?

ALL domestic type A/C units come pre-gassed. Some older quick-fit self install kits had push-fit / bayonet type self-sealing gas connections - probably when the F-gas pressures were much lower and less prone to leaks.

PS don't forget planning permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back