Access to washing machine, dishwasher & cookerhood spurs

A

armour

Hi all, i'm redoing my kitchen at the moment and wondered what the current regs were for access to switched spurs for appliances.
Do they have to be immediately accessable? - At the mo both the w/m and the d/w are connected to plugs behind them & you'd have to pull the appliances out to access
Also, the cooker hood is wired to the lighting circuit now. I'd want to fit a chimney type cooker hood wired to the ring main. Is it OK to hide this switched spur behind the chimney

Sponsored Links
Switched spurs should be accessible. So it is best to mount them above the worktop with cables running to outlet plates (if they have to be behind the appliance).

Its hopeless having fused plugs of any sort behind appliances as you have to pull the darn things out if a fuse blows.

For the same reason its not a good idea to put the FCU behind the kitchen hood. I go to a lot of places where the cooker hood does not work. USually it is because the 3A fuse has blown after a lamp has failed. If you put it behind the chimney then you would have to dismantle the cooker hood to fix it!

Why not put a grid switch somewhere practical that has the isol switches and fuses for all three items?

PS. Do not forget that all electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable. See the WIKI for details.

Just to add..

If you are having hidden / integrated appliances then there will be no room behind it for a socket and plug.. it will need to go in an adjacent cupboard.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies. Do I HAVE to make the plugs accessable. I was hoping to plug straight into the existing plugs. Also, would I need to get one spur inspected? I could leave the cookerhood connected to the lighting circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back