Accessibility of junction boxes

John,

I'll respectfully PM you as on this forum (unlike most others) if someone disgrees you then find people wade pushing their own agenda.

Once again thanks for your help everyone.

Cheers

Paul

Sponsored Links
John, I'll respectfully PM you as on this forum (unlike most others) if someone disgrees you then find people wade pushing their own agenda.
Fair enough - but I think that's a pity. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested to know why you are so keen to go out on a limb and use JBs, so it would be nice to have the explanation 'in public'.

There are, I agree, individuals here who 'push their own agenda'. However, on this occasion there is a substantial consensus (of assorted people) saying essentially the same thing to you (I haven't previously contributed, but I would would agree with that 'consensus, too), and no-one supporting your proposal.

Kind Regards, John

John, I'll respectfully PM you ...
Thanks for your PM. However, I can't reply to it, because you have configured your forum membership such as to only accept PMs from 'friends'. Could you please either undo that, or else make me a 'friend'? Thanks.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Why not contribute something worth contributing instead of wading in and trying to be an idiot.
I think you'll find that people who are more knowledgeable are doing their responsible best to prevent the idiocy of deliberately designing unnecessary junction boxes into circuits.

I wasn't advocating them, I have never used one and likely never will.

But their circuit diagrams make their JB look like a bad idea :rolleyes:

the standards do allow for me to use junction boxes.
The prime aim of the standards is to try to ensure the safety of the installation and he elimination ( reduction ) of the risks of fire or electric shock. They take little account of future needs to fault find and / or modify the installation. That is something you may have to do and at that time you may regret the use of in-accessible junction boxes.

I am interested in your reasons for using junction boxes that are not accessible.

It is

it also looks like it just has lots of Wago 224's in a CH type wiring centre

WA101.JPG

I'll respectfully PM you as on this forum (unlike most others) if someone disgrees you then find people wade pushing their own agenda.

It is not a case of us pushing our own agenda on anyone, feel free ignore the advise given and use MF junction boxes or a MF method of termination.

My advise as was other members was offering the most logically process to use, which will give you ease to access of any joints/connections made in your installation. It is very easy and not uncomplicated to use light fittings and switch back-boxes to make your connections, there is really no need for JBs in a new installation or inaccessible joints.
It is not agenda, but common sense, to give ease of maintenance and troubleshooting your installation if a fault should occur.

You may feel that your question was not answered in the way you wished, but you have been given sound advise on the back of that question.

Why not contribute something worth contributing instead of wading in and trying to be an idiot.

I was trying to constructively underline the advice that you have already been given from many experienced folk on here who have spent most of their working lives installing electrical circuits. Everybody has told you that to use junction boxes on new wiring is brainless.

There is no substitute for being to access both ends of a cable. I have been to too many sites where a junction has been hidden, or is inaccessible. This has meant ceilings have to be cut into with much angst for the owner.

Having access to the ends also allows one to re-configure the circuit, maybe add additional lights or devices at some future time. Don't forget that cabling may be in place for 50 years. Think about how technology has moved on in the last 50 years - can you imagine what the lighting options may be in a couple of decades time? No, me neither.

But, do it your own way. You know you want to.

For the record, I too would recomend the least amount of J/B's as possible.

Though I think people should be aware of what Is available that is certified M/free, rather than using a concoction of M/free connecters thrown in a Non complying box

OK guys, I am not too big that I cannot take advice but the following thread suggests some users aren't against using Junction Boxes:-

//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/junction-box-for-downlights.343269/

Have I miscommunicated something here?????

The downlighters I propose to use are Aurora and according to the tech guys there will allow 2 x 1.5mm cables

I am having trouble understanding where the proposed 'rose type' connections are to be made if the points of connection are only to be at the switch or at the downlighter. The whole point of the proposed junction boxes was to include 4 terminals for the 'rose type' terminations

Cheers

paul

4ef6cab47e0132a265c2cc238e5dbdae

It's called looping at the switch - take the feed from the board to switch position one, then a cable from here to switch position 2 and so on. From each switch point, one more cable from the switch to the light position (if downlights, then to the first downlight and then link from the first to the 2nd to the 3rd etc

Click-Flow connectors, whilst strictly junction boxes, would be classed as accessible, same with the Ashley ones (assuming you don't screw them to a joist) because they are designed to fit through a downlight hole.

The Click-Flow in particular, were designed as much for ELV downlights, that needed disconnecting from the circuit for testing.

I have Click-Flows throughout my upstairs lighting circuit, they have replaced the original JB's as they allow me to disconnect a room from the circuit really easily if I want to work on it without having to kill the whole circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back