Accessibility of junction boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

I am undertaking some electrical work at my property via the notify Local Buiding control route.

I have made contact with the electrician who has advised that he agrees with everything I propose but has commented on the following

I intend to create new lighting circuits. I was proposing to have a 4 terminal junction box secured to a joist for each new lighting circuit. He has advised that if the junction boxes has screws then it must be accessible for inspection. Is he referring to the inspection that he will be undertaking as part of his inspection and testing or inspection for the life of the installation??

The junction boxes will not be accessible after he has signed off the works as they will be in a roof void which is not accessible.

Cheers

Paul

Sponsored Links
Junction boxes must be accessible at any time, so what you propose is not permitted.

There is no need for any junction boxes on a new circuit - locate the joints at the switches, or in the light fittings.

For the life of the installation.

It's easy enough to wire a lighting circuit without them

-take your feeds to the switches (looped at the switch)
-daisy chain downlights taking the single cable from your switch to the first point and so on

If you MUST use them, use Maintenance Free junction boxes, but on a new circuit there's really no excuse to use a JB these days

thanks guys, can anyone provide a link to a decent quality 4 way terminal block that is maintaninance free. Preferably from screwfix or wickes

Sponsored Links
Did you miss the bit about not needing to use any joint boxes at all on a new installation?

I got that RF thanks but I would like to use JBs so a decent recommendation would be appreciated please

Why do you want to use them? It's terrible design to incorporate unnecessary joints into a new installation.

I can't remember the last time I used a joint box on one of my installs.

I got that RF thanks but I would like to use JBs so a decent recommendation would be appreciated please
The only decent recommendation is to not use junction boxes.

Almost every lighting circuit can be designed with out the use of any hidden junction boxes. Cables can be joined in the terminals of ceiling roses ( a junction box that also supports the pendant lamp holder ) or in the lamp fitting itself. Sometimes an extra terminal or two is needed in the fitting but more often than not there is ample space for these in the fitting.

I hope the OP has taken the advise recommended. You do not need to use junction boxes, loop your circuits in to either or both light fitting and switch box.

Your electrician should have advised on this and with respect to junction boxes, the regulation does not just concern inspection it concerns testing and maintenance.

thanks for your help guys appreciated, I'm probably going to go for the Hager items.

If you look at the specification for the "maintenance free" junction boxes you will see this line
Suitable for use in 'inaccessible' areas.

Note that 'inaccessible' has quotation marks. This could suggest that access may be needed at some time for some reason. It could mean they need not be routinely accessed but access may be necessary for some non routine reason.

Maintenance free junction boxes mostly rely on spring pressure to hold the wire in contact with the metal of the terminal. In the vast majority of installations this will be OK for many years in a clean air environment. The jury is still out on whether they will remain OK in the presence of moist air and / or corrosive atmosphere.

thanks for your help guys appreciated, I'm probably going to go for the Hager items.

Another one who asks for help and then ignores the advice it doesn't fit his original thoughts. :rolleyes:

There is no need for any junction boxes on a new circuit - locate the joints at the switches, or in the light fittings.

there's really no excuse to use a JB these days

You do not need to use junction boxes, loop your circuits in to either or both light fitting and switch box

Why do you want to use them? It's terrible design to incorporate unnecessary joints into a new installation.

I can't remember the last time I used a joint box on one of my installs.

Taylor,

The original question was in relation to the accessability and I then asked for a link to a junction box which Rocky kindly provided. It would appear that even when considering what Bernard has kindly said that the standards do allow for me to use junction boxes.

Why not contribute something worth contributing instead of wading in and trying to be an idiot.

Another one who asks for help and then ignores the advice it doesn't fit his original thoughts. :rolleyes:
Even if only out of curiosity, I would be very interested to know why the OP is so keen to use JBs, despite seeing that many people have advised him against using them. There must be some reason in his mind.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back