Accidentally turned off immersion heater - now no CH or HW!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a boiler in my kitchen and a water tank in the airing cupboard. My friend turned off the immersion heater via a switch on my wall 4 days ago, I have only just noticed this now as I have no central heating or hot water. I turned the heater back on yesterday and left the tank for an hour or two to heat up - I then put on the central heating but still the radiators remain cold.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the issue could be?

Here is the manual for the boiler:
http://www.ferroli.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/09/Optimax-HE-PLUS-25s-35s-Manual.pdf

I have the 25S model - When I turn the CH or HW on, no flame icon appears on the display. I'm not sure if the icon should or shouldn't display, but it makes me wonder if the boiler isn't lit. I have no idea how to understand the Ignition instructions on there if this is the issue.

Hope someone can help - the weathers turning cold here!
Thanks

EDIT: The immersion heater switch is on and there are no fuse box issues.

Sponsored Links
Go to your boiler, do not touch anything, describe EXACTLY everything that is on the display. Or take a picture and post it here.

andytw

The display is identical to the fig 7 on page 6 of the manual I uploaded.

Side note - I took safety precautions and removed the cap on the immersion heater and one of the cables coming from the heating element is completely burnt out. I've only just moved into the apartment within a few months so I'm not sure if the accidental use of the switch has caused this or if it was burnt out way before I moved in with the heating being done by the boiler whilst I have been living here.

Sponsored Links
OK...so nothing changes if you turn on a hot tap ?

I asked about the sun as I have a similar boiler and found it to be not working on heating (hot water was ok) and found it was set to summer mode which basically turns the boiler off for heating.

Presumably you have a programmer somewhere ? Make and model ?

andytw

Nothing changes if i turn on the hot tap, but no it doesnt seem to be in a summer mode. I control it with a Potteron EP2000.

Ignore previous message and wait for an expert. :D NOTHING will happen if you turn on a hot tap as this is obviously not a combi, as you have a hot water storage tank. Are you sure the programmer is setup OK ?

Yeah it seems OK. It was all working fine before the water heater switch was flicked. Turning on CH and/or HW causes the boiler to make some normal sounds as if it is operating, but no hot water or heating comes out!

try pressing the plus button till it gets to 70 and see what happens

edit just looked at your picture and there is no demand for heating or hot water, check that your programmer is on constant for ch and dhw.

Have changed programmer and now the CH and HW is selected to be on constantly. The display remains at 16 however I have made sure it's on 70. I assume the 16 is the current temp and the 70 a target temp. The radiator icon now has a flashing wave above it to indicate heat coming from the radiator. However still, under these settings the hot water and heating doesn't work i.e. taps are cold and radiators are cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back