Accuracy of domestic meters

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How accurate are domestic electricity meters? I am trying to determine whether using the immersion heater in the summer is cheaper than using the oil-fired boiler for hot water, and I've taken readings of our rate 1/rate 2 digital meter displays each day at approx the same time for a few months.

On some days the amount used varies by more than I would expect, for no apparent reason. The overnight readings, from 1 am to 7 am I think, should be the most stable, when all we have running is fridges, freezer, and umpteen devices on standby. We don't use any additional electricity overnight, no washing, no nothing, as we are on a standard rate for day and night use. The overnight use varies by up to two units. Ok, that could be that the immersion heater or the freezer decides to power up in the overnight period. But we have had two occasions, one last night, when the overnight use has dropped from an average of around 6 units to just 0.1 units (there was no power failure, all clocks say so). Although it's more difficult to measure, the daytime readings also vary just a little more than I would expect (but never go down to 0.1). It's not the result of a false reading either, as that would push the previous/following day out.

So what idiot uses 6 units overnight? Me, unfortunately. We have a pump for the swimming pool which is on continuously. I think that uses about 12 units in 24 hrs. On the pump label it says:

Volt 220-240
A 2,3-2
P1 Kw 0,45
P2 Kw 0,25
Min-1 2880

and a few other bits (I've even included the continental commas instead of decimal points). Can some kind person tell me how much power (in kw hrs, which I think is one unit) it will use in an hour? It's connected to the domestic single phase supply of course. This should be a constant, so I could subtract that from the reading to give the 'domestic' use.

Rgds.

PS If I had my way I would fill the pool in, but there are others more powerful than me out there, and if the house catches fire....

PPS The fire brigade will not use water from a swimming pool to douse a house fire, in case thay are sued for damage to the collapsing pool liner, so they let the house burn......

Sponsored Links
well if the pump operates as P1, it will use 0.45 kwh in 1 hour. if it operates as p2, it will use 0.25kwh in 1 hour.

however, i dont know which it is, the info isnt clear.

1kwh is 1 unit. if you dont know which one your pump operates as, it might be worth using a clamp meter to find out.

6 units overnight is not a lot, tbh. 0.1 is ridiculous :eek: are you sure you read the meter correctly, and read the right tarrif?

if it is right, it could be possible that your fridge and freezer were in defrost mode (though some do use more electric in defrost than in normal operation). The pump would have definitely used more than 0.1 overnight though.

Hi,

The 0.45 kwh sounds like it, as when the pump is off the daily use drops by about 10 units. So the pump costs me 10.8 units a day, that's 77p a day, £281 a year! Damn stupid pool.

I double-checked the overnight meter reading, and if I had misread the figures the previous or following day would be out by a factor of almost two. The last few days readings are:

With the last one this morning. I agree 0.1 is just silly. Can meters stick? Unfortunately it doesn't do it often enough to make a difference (or to make up for the pool pump).

Rgds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back