Acer ES1-512 stuck in BIOS loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My niece can't get her laptop to switch on. It's just going to the BIOS and no matter what you do, that's the only place it will go.

I put a new CMOS battery in it, in the hope it was as simple as that, but nope.

I put her hard drive in a case and plugged it into my laptop and it's not even being recognised - I'm hoping it's not her hard drive as all her college work, photos etc are on it :(

Anyone any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately that does sound like her hard drive is dead.

Have you tried your hard drive in her laptop? (To verify its her hard drive that's faulty)

There are people out there who can try to recover hard drives but in the current climate..

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but you should never have just a single copy of anything important , the cloud is good for backing things up , does your daughter have a cloud account you never know her documents might already be backed up there?

I've just realised that there's a password on her hard drive and I know the password but I can't get it to accept on my laptop - dunno if it's because her's is an Acer and mine is a Dell. That's maybe why it isn't recognised as an external hard drive if I put it in a case and plug it into my laptop?

I tried my old solid state drive in hers (running Windows 7) and it wouldn't read.

Everything on her iPad is backed up to the Cloud, but she's terrible for not updating her laptop or backing up. She doesn't use it that often - constantly glued to her phone or iPad.

I'm hoping the local computer repair shop might be open - if you're working from home and you have computer problems, surely that's an essential service? I live in hope lol

Sponsored Links
The local PC nerds down this way seem to be 'open', albeit they're working from home themselves! :)

Back