ACS Qualified with CCN HTR1 CKR1 CEN1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am new to this forum any suggestion will be highly appriciated,
Although i have experience in installing new combis evn done few full
central heatings so far so good .
I want to learn more about boiler break down repair any idea how and where can i start, i.e attending any special courses or work voluntarily
for some firms etc.
THANKS,

Sponsored Links
youhave hardley done anything but you still got your ACS modules???

wow I thought you had to prove you had a rack of experiance before they let you anywhere near a training center

Anyhoo try mr combi he does courses

also try and get into the combustion chamber forum

Sponsored Links
find out who does local authority/council or housing work in your area,join them as an installer with the idea of doing service and breakdown work in the future.get your experience there.
service/breakdown work can be better paid.example you need to haul a large rad to a top floor flat fit it and haul old rad out get paid £50.
or walk up to top floor flat exchange a boiler part get paid £50 for a few minutes work.
welcome to the real world.

Thanks allyou guys who replied my post, just to let you know mr corgiman that i was working part time with a corgi registerd firm
for about a year to gain some hand on job experience where i was fitting new gas fires, new cookers and complete heating system in order to
get my portfolio singed. Anyway i spoke to mr combi but he runs only a day course which i believe ONE day training will not make me competent enough to go out and repair boilers. Will any of you recomend any books
such as John Reginald " COMBINATION BOILER REPAIR" etc.

Many thanks,

Re last post!

If you think that you can go on a short course and then be competent to fix boilers then you are in for a shock in the real world!

A few lucky trainees who have been able to come out with me every day for three months can then attempt to repair boilers on their own.

Except for people with an electronics background, most people need at least a year to have much chance of fixing different manufacturers boilers.

Obviously you expect some kind of "system bypass" but the normal way would be to join British Gas as a trainee for a few years. Few other firms have much training or any very good people.

Tony

I thought about joining british gas AGILE , but i think the chances are very remote to be a british gas trainee specially when you are your late 30s.
I wish if i was in london so i could benifit from your experties any way thanks for your reply.

Hi.

Try the manufacturers fault finding courses.
I can highly recommend the Baxi one. £35 ish, plenty of multimeter use.
Alpha sometimes do a freeby.

Andy.

hi
baxi is very good course,ideal is very good (they suck i know)course very good though.
i am in similar position so just go on as many courses as you can it gets easier and work for nothing with some guy they will be glad of help etc,no quick fix

the construction industry training board (citb) run courses on heating controls and fault finding, and combi boiler fault finding basic and advanced, the pre-requisite for this is the essential electrics course but most centers run the courses together over 5-8 days.
essential electrics teaches you to work safely with electrics, multimeter use, ohms law ect, then the other modules go into fault finding techniques ect. at the end you also get accredited citb certificates to prove your competence (valid for five years).
go onto the citb website www.cskills.org and type in essential electrics in the search bar and you will be able to find your nearest assessment centre.

I thought about joining british gas AGILE , but i think the chances are very remote to be a british gas trainee specially when you are your late 30s.
I wish if i was in london so i could benifit from your experties any way thanks for your reply.

I have no inside knowledge about BG recruitment but if I was their technical recruitment manager I would prefer someone older as they are more stable and mature and likely to be far more reliable than a spotty youth!

Have you actually inquired?

Dont have any preconceived ideas.

Whilst there are many nupties at BG now, I expect that the training IF learnt is second only to mine! You could learn what they teach and add what you can learn on here.

"Newgas" has been an avid reader ( and regular questioner! ) on this forum for the last few months and it now shows what good progress he has made. He is now one of the few who I would certainly consider if he applied to be one of my trainees.

Tony

Re last post!

If you think that you can go on a short course and then be competent to fix boilers then you are in for a shock in the real world!

A few lucky trainees who have been able to come out with me every day for three months can then attempt to repair boilers on their own.

Except for people with an electronics background, most people need at least a year to have much chance of fixing different manufacturers boilers.

Obviously you expect some kind of "system bypass" but the normal way would be to join British Gas as a trainee for a few years. Few other firms have much training or any very good people.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back