Add socket off existing fcu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. We have an electric garage door opener and I need to install a socket next to it. Reason being, to power a small usb powered WiFi garage door controller.

Anyway, the garage door runs off an FCU with a 5a fuse, connected up to the consumer unit. It looks like it's been added in to the immersion heater breaker which is rated at 16a. It's using a metric cable despite the list on the consumer unit saying it's imperial 7029 cable.

So my plan was to tack in to the back of the garage door opener fcu adding a double socket with usb to that. Now I'm thinking, take out the fcu, put the socket in which would be direct to the 16a breaker, then run the garage door fcu from the back of the socket. Which is best and is either allowed for DIY?

Many thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210407_192156006.jpg
    PXL_20210407_192156006.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20210407_195814046~2.jpg
    PXL_20210407_195814046~2.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Unusual to share the immersion circuit, but it’s all low current, occasional loads, so not really a problem.

You have a radial circuit, and luckily it is RCD protected. Fit your new socket before the FCU, or any load over 5A is going to blow the fuse in the FCU. Then you won’t be able to open the garage door.
You can DIY this job.

Sponsored Links
Your first too!

Be nice, They can be taken away too if you are naughty :D:D:D

That is why I have 53 of them see <<<

in like 11 years...this place is so unfair. I hate you guys..(with my 613 posts,,in 10 years).

Oh wait. Cheers Guys. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back