Adding 2nd Hive Thermostat to CH - wiring problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Firstly, I am not a plumber, but took the plunge and I have managed to successfully install a dual channel hive heating system to control the downstairs heating and the hot water, but have come unstuck when trying to wire in a second single channel controller for the upstairs heating.

My problem is that the previous thermostat/controller only used 2 wires and there are 2 other wires poked back into the wall because they weren't required, but I can't figure out which to wire where on the hive back plate. I have a brown wire, a grey wire with a brown sleeve, a black wire with blue sleeve and a yellow and green wire. (Photo uploaded)

Any help would be really appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6017.JPG
    IMG_6017.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
The original thermostat was probably battery operated so didn't need a 230V mains supply hence only two wires were used. The Hive does however need a permanent mains power supply.

The single channel version of the Hive has the following connections:

36363556.jpg

The instructions below are based on the following two assumptions. If these are not correct, don't proceed but post back what is the case.

Assumption 1. The 'Brown' wire and 'Grey wire with Brown sleeve' were the two wires used by the original thermostat.
Assumption 2. This thermostat will be operating a 230V motorised valve controlling a single heating zone.

If both of the above is correct, then
Brown will be the 'Live' which would go to the Hive (Live) terminal
Grey will be the 'Switched Live' and would go to the Hive Heating on terminal (3)

The black wire with a blue sleeve should be a neutral, but please check that it is first, either by finding the other end of it and making sure that it is connected to a Neutral, or by checking it with a multimeter. Having identified it as a Neutral, then you can connect it to the Hive (Neutral) terminal.

Finally add a link between the Hive Live terminal and Common, terminal (1)

Thanks for that Stem, you sir are a legend!

I did as you suggested and now have both Hives up and running, Yey! :eek:)

I have attached a final photo of the wiring for anybody else that may be seeking clarification in the future.
wiring.png

wiring.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back