Adding a double socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the double socket is fixed to the wall what would be the best method of creating a channel for the wiring to drop to the subfloor area.
Can i do it without removing the skirting board as i've just decorated.

thanx.

Sponsored Links
Are your walls plaster over brick/block? If so, cut your chase down to the skirting board, and then using a long masonry bit, drill down behind the skirting board. If you're lucky, the plaster may not extend the full depth of the skirting.

Then use another long bit to drill behind the skirting and through the floor board. Ensure you know what's under there before you drill through a pipe, cable, or into a joist.

This might help.

If anyone's got an easier method, then I'd be most interested to hear it - I've got 35 to do....

Sponsored Links
If anyone's got an easier method, then I'd be most interested to hear it - I've got 35 to do....

You need a piece of 15mm (half inch) conduit with a gentle curve in it, all this talk of drills is complete bollerx.

Then what do you do with the conduit? Hammer it in?

I just use a long drill bit and generally drill at a 45 degree angle towards the next room.

Drilling works fine most of the time.

Use a meter long drill bit. This allows you to drill down straight behind the skirting board while keeping your drill slightly away from the wall.

Keep your foot pressed tight against the skitring board while drilling to avoid the skirting coming away from the wall.

Done plenty before using a slightly angled drill behind the skirting. Have also drilled up from crawl space just behind the skirting (measuring carefully from a tiny marker hole) and then knocked the plaster behind the skirting back down the hole from above.

No good for upstairs though and I don't have crawl space downstairs for anything bigger than a ferret.

You need a piece of 15mm (half inch) conduit with a gentle curve in it, all this talk of drills is complete bollerx.

Hammer the conduit behind the skirting????

Horses for courses surely! - my skirting is only 3 inches high and a long drill goes behind it pretty easily.

Sorry OP - unintentionally hijacked ;)

I'll second RF, 1m drill bit works a treat on 12"+, 2-piece Victorian skirting which is a complete PITA to re-fit if it comes off. Don't forget the foot-hard-against-as-you-drill part!

Yep, done it 100's of times without a problem you only have to go through the plaster. And there's always a gap between the floor boards and the wall.

I'll give that a try. Ta.

I just use a long drill bit and generally drill at a 45 degree angle towards the next room.
Why such a shallow angle? Surely you can get it steeper than that?

That doesn't comply with regs because the socket outlet is no longer indicating the position of the cable run.
Depends, surely, on the thickness of the wall and how far above the floor he starts drilling?

That doesn't comply with regs because the socket outlet is no longer indicating the position of the cable run.

Yes it does.
He does not mean that you drill at an angle of 45º to the left or right. He means drill back into the wall in line with the socket. That means it is in the safe zone which runs right through the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back