Adding a Light to an Existing circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Just joined so be gentle!!

I have a small loft space above my bathroom(where an old tank used to be) that I am planning to floor for storage.

The bathroom lighting cables are also up there and consist of the lighting loop with a fan controller also attached(This is connected to the rose and has a separate isolator.

Now my question is..... I wish to add a further light and switch to allow me to see in this new loft area. Can I connect a further light to thie bathroom rose or would I be better to add a junction box to either the incomming or outgoing loop and run a new cable from there.

Also, once I have my new "supply cable", how do I connect the new switch and lamp? I want to avoid the new lamp coming on everytime I switch on the bathroom light...!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
so in the current cieling rose you have light loop and fan cables?

is it a bit crammed in there? consider whether you can get another cable in.

cant really say the easiest way without see-ing the actual job but a junction box is never a bad idea, the usual rules will apply though about it being accsesible for inspection.

is the route for the cable ok? by which i mean is it going to be in correct zones, running it in trunking? tell us more about your plan. :LOL:

look in the wiki for info on how lighting circuits work so you'l then no how to connect up.

having said that i would never advise DIY electrics unless your 100% sure you can do the job safelly and correctly.

Thanks for the response. Yes. rose has loop and fan cables. Is pretty tight to be honest.

I think I have found what I was looking for on the FAQ(2nd page post by Breezer) with regards to adding a new light and switch. Was just no sure if I could have both the fan and another light connected into the same rose(ie if this was a no no for reasons other than space restrictions)

I am in an older property which originally had high ceilings. When they were converted they put a standard height false ceiling in over the bathroom and nstalled a header tank above. This is now redundant and I want to floor it for much needed storage space.

So when I go into this space at the moment, it is like being in the loft of a "normal" modern house. ie the cable from the bathroom light and fan are coming through the plaster board between the joists. The plan was to either tap into the rose(space permitting) or install a junction box in one of the feed cables and then spur off a new swith and light... so does this mean I am OK to run cables fixed to joists. I am not planning to bury in walls or anything and will not be adding any further lighting to the bathroom space itself....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back