adding a new waste to cast iron pipe

Hi kevplumb, so, can i break into this and use it for a drain for the kitchen sink? and is a strap on boss the way to go? cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi kevplumb, so, can i break into this and use it for a drain for the kitchen sink? and is a strap on boss the way to go? cheers

I think you should find out where it goes first, It may not be to the main drain.

Can we see the top part of the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Yep - it's definitely a vent - can't be anything else with that 45 degree tee up the way it is. I wouldn't try putting anything down it until you know where the end comes out underground - could be a couple of feet up the wall of an inspection chamber. Also watch out for pipe being choked with rust flakes that have fallen off over the millennia. You'd be better off replacing the whole thing really.

OK, so it's definitely a vent pipe, can you see where in joins the inspection chamber.

Big square thing about 21/2 ft x 2 ft in the ground for cleaning

If you can't find one on your property, and neighbours have the same type of house as you, have a look over the fence to see where theirs is. It's amazing how often people put something over man-holes (paving, concrete, sheds, bookcases etc)

found this, its an old drain, the water is running away nicely, still cat find an inspection cover, do you think i can use the iron down pipe for my kitchen sink? cheers

No. Not without knowing what happens to it after it goes underground.

The old gully doesn't appear to have any waste pipes near it. Is it in a low spot and hence a surface water drain? If so there's no telling what happens to any water that goes down it.

Do any of your mates have a metal detector? Could be useful for playing "hunt the manhole".

Those paving slabs could be covering a multitude. Try taking a peek under them. (Just hope no one's done a 'Brookside' on you :!: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back