Adding a permanent socket which plugs into another socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, if you trawl the Screwfix Forum, it's possible to find out why BAS was banned from the IET Forum under the alias Non Sparky...
Wow - you've caught up.

I'm deeply flattered that someone as rational and intelligent as you would be that interested in little old me.

It is, however, important to challenge accepted thinking.
I'm glad you agree. I hope you won't mind if I remind you of that should it ever be relevant.

(ps - BAS, I simply don't read your line for line nit picking. I'm sorry but I just can't be doing with it. I gave up after the second time - yes, I made it that far!!)
Nit picking? Sorry - I thought I was doing something important by challenging what you regard as accepted thinking on the Building Regulations.

Sponsored Links
'Work WITHIN them is notifiable only if it involves new OUTDOOR wiring'

How can anyone work within if the work is outdoor?
Ask the numpties that wrote it.

I believe you have misunderstood this. Replacing sockets, light switches, light fittings IS allowed because it doesn't involve new wiring. Adding sockets and lights DOES involve new wiring.
Have you actually read Schedule 2B of the Building Regulations?

It is clear as far as BS7671 is concerned, 'OUTDOOR' means outside the main equipotential zone.
Can you please tell us where in BS7671 it says that? If you've got the CD you could copy and paste the actual text, but if not don't spend time typing it - page/paragraph or reg number reference will be fine.

A detached garage IS outside the main equipotential zone. Using portable equipment outdoors includes the detached garage, therefore the relevant 'outdoor' precuations must be taken.
How can it be outside the equipotential zone if you extend the equipotential zone to it?

Sedgefield Council - seat of Tony Blair whilst the whole Part P was being discussed, rushed and finally published disagree with you too. They say:

'Extensions and modifications to circuits' and have a nice big tick for Notifiable next to Remote Garage.
But they are wrong. As is blindingly obvious to anybody who takes the trouble to read the law.

What would you say if someone found a document on another council's website which disagreed with Sedgefield's?

Sponsored Links
To the original poster, stand by this could take some time.

In the interim plug in your multi point wandering lead and connect your light or whatever and just for the record you probably wont get any electrician to certify your work, I would'nt.

It's only a temporary supply isn't it.

To the original poster, stand by this could take some time.
That depends on whether anybody tries again to mislead the OP by falsely telling him that the work is notifiable.

In the interim plug in your multi point wandering lead and connect your light or whatever and just for the record you probably wont get any electrician to certify your work, I would'nt.

It's only a temporary supply isn't it.
It may seem like a silly question but I want to install a new socket in my garage and to avoid having to get new permanent wiring certified by an electrician I want to create a permanent ie wiring clipped to walls extension which plugs into an existing socke and terminates in a new socket... Is this contravieing regulations - or is it okay to do this? I also want to feed a lighting spur from this new, plugged in extension... Is this okay as well. Many thanks.
1) It's not temporary.

2) Even if it were there is no exemption for temporary work.

3) Neither (1) nor (2) are relevant, as the work is not notifiable, no matter how it is done.

BAS, as you mentioned the law, perhaps you would be so kind as to post your legal credentials so that we don't all keep falling about laughing when you attempt to make your interpretation of it sound like fact. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Whilst you are looking up the law, perhaps you could start with this one as I believe it is relvant to you:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si2003/20031626.htm :evil:

I was just trying to say..........

It's not notifiable IMHO

Just trying to read between the the lines of the OP.

Everyone ask their Part P Schemes and post the answers back here? Might be interesting....

The thing is, the OP has not given enough information on what they are wanting to do in order to give sound advice. To the OP, where is the socket where you are wanting to take the supply from? Are there going to be any outdoor cable runs? Is the circuit already RCD protected?

Well, the discussion started when I stated that if the work was in a 'detached' garage, it seemed that the work described would be notifable.

Everyone ask their Part P Schemes and post the answers back here? Might be interesting....

Without adequate information on what is needed to be done, and not jumping to any conclusions I would not bother (besides I am not a memeber of a part p scheme).

Well, the discussion started when I stated that if the work was in a 'detached' garage, it seemed that the work described would be notifable.

It depends on the scope of the work. Adding a socket to an existing socket circuit already installed within the garage would be a non-notifiable activity.

BAS, as you mentioned the law, perhaps you would be so kind as to post your legal credentials so that we don't all keep falling about laughing when you attempt to make your interpretation of it sound like fact. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Feel free to quote the part of the law which you believe I have misinterpreted. That won't be hard for a rational person to do.

Whilst you are looking up the law, perhaps you could start with this one as I believe it is relvant to you:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si2003/20031626.htm :evil:
It's relevant to everybody in this country, surely, as it applies to everybody?

Perhaps you'd care to explain to the forum why you think it is relevant to this topic - I'm sure it won't be hard for a rational and mature person to show why the Race Relations Act is something that needs to be considered in the context of adding sockets in a garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back