Adding a shower room - door size etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all

I'm encouraging my father to have a downstairs shower room/WC installed in his house as the only WC/bathroom is on the first floor - not good as years progress.

I think we can take some space from a downstairs room to construct it. Would BR insist on a certain size of door to the room or can you get away with the old 30".

Are there any specific issues about installing an extra shower room that you gurus think we should be aware of...we hope to use a 'grundfoss maceraor' to get the waste from WC/sink/shower to a nearby stack.

It won't be a DIY job but just want to know that any proposed design will wotk before talking to the pros.

thanks

Welsford

Sponsored Links
Macerators are a bit rubbish frankly so don't be surprised if you're replacing it in a few years but they can get you out of a hole so to speak if there is no other solution.

There is no minimum size of door as you are improving facilities rather than reducing them.

Thanks - that's good to know - when we had a shower room built we had a wider door fitted...but don't know whether that was what the architect thought or was a requirement from planning/BC.

Yes aware macerators are not as good as gravity...but one man living alone with only human waste going down it....no condoms (i hope!) or sanitary towels etc which should make it a bit better...also not much of a vertical lift/horizontal run and it will probably be in 40mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back