adding a spur to lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've an awkward corner in the hall with no sockets nearby, and this is where i have the computer set up, with an extension cable stretched across the hall. far from ideal.

there is however a light switch right above where the computer sits, would it be possible to fit a spur to the lighting circuit, for a socket.

there are six lighting outlets on this circuit, a couple with 3 bulbs, but all are low wattage.

thanks

Sponsored Links
No. Insufficient capacity on the lighting circuit, and there most likely won't be a neutral there either. Not to mention the probable lack of any RCD.

just for arguments sake lets say that the lighting circuit is on a 6A MCB fed with 1.5mm twin, if you installed an RCD spur unit and then spurred a socket off of that even if you put 2 13A fuses in the spur unit and the plugtop the circuit would trip out at 6A anyway, i know its wrong but its a good argument lol

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back