Adding a spur

The socket only has two wires so is not a spur.

I dont think you mean "WIRES" do you really mean "CABLES"??

If so, there may be two cables but that does not necessarily mean the socket is part of a ring final. It may be a spur with another (not allowed) spur running from it.

Or the circuit may not be a ring at all. It may be a radial. These things can only be determined by testing, investigation and some knowledge.

Sponsored Links
Yes I mean two cables. They connect to a single socket that I am changing to a double socket at the same time.

Thanks

Mark

Yes I mean two cables. They connect to a single socket that I am changing to a double socket at the same time.
You have 2 cables to this socket, and they both connect to another one?

How many cables are there at this other single socket?

There is a single socket on the wall with two twin and earth cables going into the socket. I will change this single socket to a double socket and then run a double socket spur off of it.

Sponsored Links
Sorry - my fault - for some reason I thought you were talking about another socket which supplied the one you wanted to spur from. I have no idea why :oops:

Anyway - you have a socket with two cables connected to it, you want to change it to a double socket and also take a spur from it.

The fact that there are two cables to it does not tell you that it is on a ring - it could be a radial, or it could be a spur with another one running from it. Assuming is no good - you have to find out.

If it is on a ring, why not extend the ring to the new socket rather than create a spur?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back