Adding an extra light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a huge beam running across the kitchen ceiling. The light fitting used to be on the beam and everything was fine - till we got rewired and the spark said that you weren't allowed to fit lighting on wood - so they've put the light fitting at the back of the beam which means half the kitchen is pretty dim and the other half bright.

Question is, is it possible to add an extra light fitting to this that could be placed on the other side of the beam - like daisy chaining it from the existing fitting, through the beam to the other side?

Sponsored Links
Yes this can be done be installing a cable between the existing light and the additional light.
You may nave problems if ceiling joists restrict the passage of the cable though.
In new installations there will be a colour difference the circuit conductors.
Red=Brown
Black=Blue
Green/Yellow=Green/Yellow (the same)
Also as it is an alteration to a circuit within the kitchen notification of the installation should be made to Building Controls

the kitchen is pretty dim

A bit like your electrician. :)

Yeah well, least said about him the better. Don't ask me how he did it but we spent a year of having to put up with the smoke alarm going off every time you switched the electric shower on!! :eek:

Glad it's possible. Suppose I'd better find an electrician now (unless it's completely idiot proof and I could do it myself!!)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back