Extending wiring and spotlights

Sponsored Links
I would replace all the existing lamps with 6W Led Gu10, job done ! :LOL:

Regards,

DS

You already suggested that.

Alison. Lamp choice is such a personal thing. Personally i would hate the look of those dunlm things.

Converting watts to lumens is a bit of a black art plus smoke a mirrors.

There's a rough and ready table at http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/resources/lumens_watts

that may help

or use this handy formula

P(W) = ΦV(lm) / η(lm/W)

Simples

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking that's what I'm going to end up doing but that doesn't solve the problem of the join in the mains cable with what is probably the wrong junction box.

The first electrician I asked to move the lights, I was honest with about the join and he refused to even look at it - so I never let on to the other guy cos I figured if I was moving the lights, it would get rid of the join

Why are you moving them? As i have said changing them to led will stop the scorching marks on the ceiling :LOL:

Regards,

DS

Cos when they were put up, the mains cable needed extending and the guy who did it used a junction box that kinda looks like a ceiling rose and it's been explained to me that it's the wrong thing because it's not maintenance free - we have no access from above as I have an upstairs neighbour - so the join was made and then popped into the ceiling void and plastered over - so no access to it now - and it's worrying me :confused:

Frankly, life is far to short for that. There are millions of junction boxes under floors and in lofts.

At least your electrician used a box! I have seen tape, Sellotape and plasters used to join wiring buried in walls and ceilings.

Smile, your in Dundee :)

Regards,

DS

So I'm not gonna set the house on fire with dodgy joinings?

OK, laugh at me LOL

And there ain't nothing to smile about in Dundee tonight - rain couldn't come down any harder

Not at all, you might set fire to the ceiling with the existing lamps ! :eek:

Regards,

DS

I'd tried cool white LEDs before and they were awful - are daylight better? I'm not fond of the yellow tones of the current halogens so wanted a more natural colour

Hi, the most important thing is buying a good quality Brand I have use Bell Lamps and Philips. The daylight lamp was very impressive in a white kitchen.

Don't buy on she-bay :)

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back