Adding another light switch and lamp holder

Yeah, I'm beginning to realise that. So how to i make it right? why doesn't the loft switch have a neutral? If I were to take a look at the other swiches in my house would i find others without neutral wires?
Most likely. A switch does not need a neutral, and if one is present it will just be looped out in a connector block. The neutral will be at the light fittings. The Wiki explains it well.

So... i would need to run a cable from the loft light itself and connect it to the hall light?

Is my current setup safe? I no it's not ideal, but is it safe.

The Wiki?

Sponsored Links
Let's start again.

Forget what you have done.
The existing cable that goes to the loft light switch. Can you access the other end of it?

Sponsored Links

Ah yes. Just as a suspected. I should get into the loft and somehow get a cable (L/N/E) from the existing light fitting (cdilng rose) and bring it to the new hall light I have installed. Then I need to drop another cable from the new light to the new switch.

What I've done is take a cable from the existing light switch for the loft and connect it to the new switch for the hall. I've then taken a cable from the new hall switch to the new hall light fixure.

Single pole, I'll think you'll find.

I don't think SP is actually labelling anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back